New gun laws for Ok, coming Nov 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still no campus carry? Why?

When I was still working in Higher Ed a few years ago, (I retired in Dec 2013 as the VP of Student Services at a small Community College) the Chancellor of Higher Ed, Glen Johnson, used to be fond of saying:

"There is NO SCENARIO where allowing guns on campus will do anything other than create a more dangerous situation for our students, faculty and staff..."

I was in a very small minority of somewhat senior administrators in Higher Ed who disagreed with the Chancellor's position. However, we were really not allowed to speak our minds. Suggesting that we should allow guns on campus was a forbidden topic; it could be a career killer. After all, how could one possibly think that Glen Johnson, the Chancellor, could be wrong??? My boss, the College President, was terrified of guns, he had an incredibly closed mind regarding the 2nd Amendment, as seemingly did most of my peers and colleagues. In my almost 20 years in higher ed at 4 different colleges and universities, I met more than few people who, simply because they possess an advanced degree, think that makes them incredibly knowledgeable about everything. I admit that I often took great delight in making it known I was an avid shooter (not an active shooter now mind you; but an avid shooter).

I strongly support a college education for many, but I also strongly support the 2nd Amendment and our right to keep and bear arms. But: I am so glad to be retired.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I've read and re-read about the active military being able to carry. Just want to be certain, that's any ACTIVE military, not just active duty, regardless of age, correct? So a 20 yr old reservist can carry concealed with the proper ID and OK drivers license?

Yes, the law applies to guard and reserve. They don't have to be in drill status IIRC.

It also doesn't require that the military member have any handgun training.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After all, how could one possibly think that Glen Johnson, the Chancellor, could be wrong??? My boss, the College President, was terrified of guns, he had an incredibly closed mind regarding the 2nd Amendment, as seemingly did most of my peers and colleagues. In my almost 20 years in higher ed at 4 different colleges and universities, I met more than few people who, simply because they possess an advanced degree, think that makes them incredibly knowledgeable about everything. I admit that I often took great delight in making it known I was an avid shooter (not an active shooter now mind you; but an avid shooter).

I strongly support a college education for many, but I also strongly support the 2nd Amendment and our right to keep and bear arms. But: I am so glad to be retired.

QFT and bolded for particular emphasis on the tyranny of the verifiably ignorant, especially at the doctorate level within education. My preferred label for this observable condition is "educated beyond their intelligence."

And as to politician Glen Johnson, most assuredly not an educator, higher ed hasn't exactly seen much ROI on that choice. Another prime example of Oklahoma's educational failures, IMO.

Last edited:

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was still working in Higher Ed a few years ago, (I retired in Dec 2013 as the VP of Student Services at a small Community College) the Chancellor of Higher Ed, Glen Johnson, used to be fond of saying:

"There is NO SCENARIO where allowing guns on campus will do anything other than create a more dangerous situation for our students, faculty and staff..."

I was in a very small minority of somewhat senior administrators in Higher Ed who disagreed with the Chancellor's position. However, we were really not allowed to speak our minds. Suggesting that we should allow guns on campus was a forbidden topic; it could be a career killer. After all, how could one possibly think that Glen Johnson, the Chancellor, could be wrong??? My boss, the College President, was terrified of guns, he had an incredibly closed mind regarding the 2nd Amendment, as seemingly did most of my peers and colleagues. In my almost 20 years in higher ed at 4 different colleges and universities, I met more than few people who, simply because they possess an advanced degree, think that makes them incredibly knowledgeable about everything. I admit that I often took great delight in making it known I was an avid shooter (not an active shooter now mind you; but an avid shooter).

Until our schools start teaching the Constitution and we get rid of the professors and education leaders that do not believe in the Constitution.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now if I can just convince the state of Oklahoma to allow me to transport 5 cases of Texas beer on the back of my motorcycle back to Oklahoma....

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but still talking about laws. I thought up to 10 cases were legal over the border. I have been doing 10 cases from Joplin of good stuff on a regular basis that does not have the "green" taste from being pulled off early to meet the 3.2 requirement for years. Pretty sure found a place to find that at one time. Recently I switched to Oklahoma ZigenBock out of Houston and like it better, and it is still good for me when it gets hot (in the can) better than anything out on the lake when it gets hot. I think they are doing a test run in Oklahoma, might give it a try.

Now, Thank everyone working and pushing for this years legal modifications.

I got into legally carrying late. If some of the original pioneers of fighting for the original CC that was passed and later the OC that relieved the "accidental brandishing" are still here reading, I want to give you a very big Thank You for doing all you did, it had to be excruciating at times.

A couple months ago I was running late and had to stop for gas. Jumped out real quick got the pump running. Guy next to me said "Is that a 1911"? Uh Yeah as I looked down. In my haste getting out of my truck apparently my seat belt had caught my T-shirt using my every day IWB and pulled it up and over. "Yes it is" as I flipped my T-shirt back over it, thinking it is nice I am still legal ether way.

Carry of any kind in Oklahoma is because a few people were relentless in their cause to make it easy for the rest of us. Thank You again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK2A had a large hand in getting these bills passed.
The President of OK2A, Don Spencer came to our monthly Ponca City gun club meeting last night and gave a very informative speech about gun bills that had been passed and some that were in the works. They are doing Ok gun owners a lot of good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, Thank everyone working and pushing for this years legal modifications.

I got into legally carrying late. If some of the original pioneers of fighting for the original CC that was passed and later the OC that relieved the "accidental brandishing" are still here reading, I want to give you a very big Thank You for doing all you did, it had to be excruciating at times.

A couple months ago I was running late and had to stop for gas. Jumped out real quick got the pump running. Guy next to me said "Is that a 1911"? Uh Yeah as I looked down. In my haste getting out of my truck apparently my seat belt had caught my T-shirt using my every day IWB and pulled it up and over. "Yes it is" as I flipped my T-shirt back over it, thinking it is nice I am still legal ether way.

Carry of any kind in Oklahoma is because a few people were relentless in their cause to make it easy for the rest of us. Thank You again.
Me and a buddy Russ Cook initiated the petition drive that got open carry passed. I was second to sign after him. While I didnt work that hard on the initiative, it was kool being a part in some small manner. I remember being very pessimistic that anything would come of that petition drive.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/open-carry-in-oklahoma-petition-merges-with-ok2a.103546/

Latest posts

Top Bottom