New gun laws for Ok, coming Nov 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never priced a train before this moment, holy **** snacks......I'll just fly lol
Exactly. I was interested in taking one out to Portland from Denver to see my folks. $1100 for 2 in a very cramped "roomette" which could be worse but when you consider the 45hr trip (not including layover in LA) Was $350 for two coach seats but theres NO F***ing way I could do that for 45 hours. Id end up killin somebody

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. I was interested in taking one out to Portland from Denver to see my folks. $1100 for 2 in a very cramped "roomette" which could be worse but when you consider the 45hr trip (not including layover in LA) Was $350 for two coach seats but theres NO F***ing way I could do that for 45 hours. Id end up killin somebody

Lmao .... the cost of sedating myself for 45 hours would likely double the ticket cost ......I agree not a chance in hell I take a train anywhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Travelled on trains a lot in foreign countries. Our train system is so antiquated it's laughable. Tax money and freight movement is the only thing keeping it alive.
The Alaskan train is the exception, and it's for tourism and not mass movements of people. The food cars to eat, and the bar car is special.
We plan on starting at Fairbanks, maybe heading to Nome via car, and working our way Southwest to Seward, spending a week or so at each stop.
Wife is months away from retirement, so it's in the window.

dlharper

Marksman
Reaction score
Amtrak is government owned, Federal laws apply. So nope. You have to make a reservation for it, be in a locked case, ammo in separate case in the original boxes, etc etc. And there's a weight limit. http://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage.
Which bring to mind Greyhound/Trailways/what ever they are calling themselves these days, looks like a big fat NO on those as well . . .

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Travelled on trains a lot in foreign countries. Our train system is so antiquated it's laughable. Tax money and freight movement is the only thing keeping it alive.
The Alaskan train is the exception, and it's for tourism and not mass movements of people. The food cars to eat, and the bar car is special.
We plan on starting at Fairbanks, maybe heading to Nome via car, and working our way Southwest to Seward, spending a week or so at each stop.
Wife is months away from retirement, so it's in the window.

Travelled by train in W. Germany while in the military and it was an efficient way to get around. I've made one train trip in the US on our vacation in 2000 from Newton KS to Chicago, round trip. It was an experience that was basically OK in most aspects except the Chicago departure.

As to the foreign country train experience, I'd toss out there that the US gave Europe a huge leg-up with the Marshall Plan to put their rail system back together since the 8th Air Force & RAF blew it to smithereens in WW2. There are essentially no grade-level crossings of roadways which allows for increased speeds.

And just to stay on topic as regards new law and carry and transportation, the maxim of "concealed means concealed" remains in effect. Not advocating law-breaking by anyone by any means...YMMV...IANAL...etc.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traveling on Amtrak isn't as "nice" as they make it out to be, the A/C can go out on your car and even if you have sleeper booth, it's miserable and then when chow time comes around if there aren't four in your party you get to sit with some foul mouthed guy from California (I almost slugged that guy) and later he was threatened to be dropped off at the next stop.
Then the train personnel sometimes aren't as pleasant as they could be, I've seen them chewing out passengers once. And we had a layover in Los Angeles (LA to you CA folks) your wouldn't believe the mixed-up people. They are totally confused, guys who think they're girls based on their hose and short shorts, women in various stages of undress and dress. It was a weird place and we here in OK should thank God we don't live there-no kidding!
Then if the train is late getting to the station and you have a quick connect, you have to run across several tracks baggage in and and catch the next train before it leaves without you. However, I'm not sure if you miss your connection if Amtrak has to put you up in a hotel for the night but if they do and you're rescheduled will yo still have your sleeper or will someone else have it and you'll have to sit with...ew coach people.
I rode coach once for a long time-about four thousand miles and it wasn't the most pleasant time I've ever undertook. I specifically remember a plastic drinking container with a liquid that looked like Mellow Yellow when someone emptied their seat and got off and I'd bet my car title it wasn't a soft drink...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Travelled by train in W. Germany while in the military and it was an efficient way to get around. I've made one train trip in the US on our vacation in 2000 from Newton KS to Chicago, round trip. It was an experience that was basically OK in most aspects except the Chicago departure.

As to the foreign country train experience, I'd toss out there that the US gave Europe a huge leg-up with the Marshall Plan to put their rail system back together since the 8th Air Force & RAF blew it to smithereens in WW2. There are essentially no grade-level crossings of roadways which allows for increased speeds.

And just to stay on topic as regards new law and carry and transportation, the maxim of "concealed means concealed" remains in effect. Not advocating law-breaking by anyone by any means...YMMV...IANAL...etc.
You're correct. The US certainly did help with the infrastructure rebuilding after WWII.
Those people mainly walk as transportation. But public transportation is much more prevalent in Europe than it is here other than in our major urban areas.
The company sent me to school in Italy with an open return ticket, so I took a train all the way to Denmark on my way back t catch a flight.
Got my ass ate out when coming home from my boss for doing it, but when I pointed out that his boss did the same damned thing , it became a non issue.
My wife was the accountant over travel expenses as part of her job.
It was a very pleasant experience other than one sleeper car with a genuine chain saw snorer.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like them except for the one about the elected officials carrying on court houses. What makes them so special? We can’t do it so neither should they be able to. Talk about above the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom