New gun laws for Ok, coming Nov 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've read and re-read about the active military being able to carry. Just want to be certain, that's any ACTIVE military, not just active duty, regardless of age, correct? So a 20 yr old reservist can carry concealed with the proper ID and OK drivers license?

As I understand it military personnel (AD, Guard or Reserve) age 21 and over may carry using only their military ID. Military personnel 18-20 that are Oklahoma residents or stationed here may apply for and be issued an Oklahoma handgun permit.

I have an 18 year old leaving next week for Air Force basic training and have been looking into this. It appears that he will still have to take the class although the range time may be waived. Do any of the instructors on here have any more information?

Another question I've been wondering about is reciprocity for 18-20 year old. Would the same states honor the permit or just the ones that allow those under 21 to carry?

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Relevant wording from SB35 regarding military carry. Title 21 1290.8

2. The person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, and is either: a. active military, or b. a member of the Reserve or National Guard to include Drill Status Guard and Reserve, Active Guard Reserves or Military Technicians, and presents a valid military identification card that shall be considered a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I saw somewhere that this would also apply to retired military? Am I mistaken? Did I dream that? Was it proposed, but not enacted?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I thought it applied to veterans as well...? Oklahoma governor signs bill to allow veterans to carry handguns. Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin signed a bill Thursday that will allow people as young as 18 who have served in the military to obtain a handgun license, according to the Associated Press.Apr 7, 2017
I think based on the source (AP) that I'd better do some research on a valid source. I found this regarding the bill:
3. Be at least:

a. twenty-one (21) years of age, or

b. eighteen (18) years of age but not yet twenty-one (21) years of age and the person is a member or veteran of the United States Armed Forces, the Reserves or National Guard, or the person was discharged under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard;

4. Complete a firearms safety and training course and demonstrate competence and qualifications with the type of pistol to be carried by the person as provided in Section 1290.14 of this title, and submit proof of training and qualification or an exemption for training and qualification as authorized by Section 1290.14 of this title;
HB 1428 - Oklahoma Secretary of State And House Bill 1428 creates the Handgun Carry Military Age Exemption Act. This act would allow military members and veterans to obtain a concealed carry license before their 21st birthday.
So based on a cursory search, the only difference between current law and the law that is to take place in Nov 2017 is that the age limit is changed to reflect age 18 of active duty and veterans before their 21st birthday. We still have to take the training and pay for a license as does the under age 21 veterans.

Am I wrong? Any legal Beagles out there?

Last edited:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I saw somewhere that this would also apply to retired military? Am I mistaken? Did I dream that? Was it proposed, but not enacted?

This is the official OK state site where you can read the actual law
https://legiscan.com/OK/text/HB1428/2017

Type in any bill you want to see. The list of passed bills is in the first post in this thread.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's as I thought, applies to those age 18 to age 21, AD military or veterans. Doesn't apply to older veterans and we all have to jump through the hoops to get a license whether we're combat vets, purple heart or firearm instructor or garbage collector. However, if you were a member of the armed forces and separated within the past 20 years you get a break-no firearm training required-but that's old news.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talking 2 different laws here.

One (SB35) allows currently serving military members, 21 years and older, to carry without a permit. Veterans and retirees NOT included.

The other (HB1428) waives the age requirement for military and veterans under 21 applying for a permit.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other (HB1428) waives the age requirement for military and veterans under 21 applying for a permit.

Yup, no change for us older guys whether we're a veteran or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom