New gun won’t fire..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a G2 that runs perfectly but as with any gun if you don't trust it even after it has been fixed get rid of it. Lots of good brands and models out there, some very affordable. The LEO trade ins are always a good deal, most of them show just carry wear and mechanically are sound and reliable.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised (and relieved) that this didn't turn in to a Taurus bashing thread. With that being said, and in my experience, Taurus semi-auto quality is hit or miss. I've had some that always worked and I've had some that failed more often than not. I agree with SMS that I think your friend screwed you over. Your pistol is probably worth sending back and keeping but I wouldn't depend on it. There have been some pretty good suggestions here for reliable budget firearms so I'll add one. The Smith & Wesson SD series (not the Sigma) are great budget friendly handguns. If you look around you can pick them up used for a little over 200 bucks. In retrospect, I don't recall reading that you were looking for a BUDGET handgun...maybe I missed something. There are tons of options and opinions. Good luck!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Ruger 9E and I love it. It's the same internally as the SR9 but $100 cheaper. It just has less milling on the slide, comes with 1 mag instead of 2 and a cardboard box instead of a hard case. Frankly I prefer it over the SR9 style wise and the square slide is easier for me to grip. I bought 2 more magazines for $30 so I'm still $70 ahead and have 3 mags instead of 2. :)

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the thorough responses. I’m not necessarily looking for a budget gun but I’ll definitely look into the suggestions. We have a safe with options inside, but I don’t think another 9mm. My husband has a nice 45 but it felt a bit big for my hands. Didn’t love it. I’ve just been wanting a 9mm for myself and I thought it was going to work out. I have every intention on sending this Taurus in for repair, but I’ve been uneasy about specifically using for home defense once it gets back. I was hoping I was being a bit over cautious but like others pointed out..it’s a big risk. This gun certainly hasn’t made the best first impression.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The caliber (9mm) has nothing to do with your Taurus problem. I'd send it in, because they will probably either fix it or replace it. Sometimes you get a "lemon" vehicle off the assembly line - handguns are no different.

FWIW, 9mm is my favorite handgun caliber.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping I was being a bit over cautious but like others pointed out..it’s a big risk. This gun certainly hasn’t made the best first impression.
You're not being overly cautious at all. Your last sentence is key.

Not bashing Taurus here, but my impression is that they have great marketing and that's it. IMO, if they put half the effort into their manufacturing that they do their marketing they'd have a good product. Where they cut corners is in materials and testing. They are sub par in metallurgy especially. Take advantage of the warranty and get it fixed. Then sell it and get something you know you can count on. Not necessarily in that order...

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some looking around online. Looks like issues with the trigger is pretty common and others have had issues straight out of the box. I’ll send it in to get it fixed but looks like I’ll be shopping around also. There’s a blue Ruger I’ve had my eyes on and Christmas is practically here.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but friends don't let friends trust their lives to Taurus handguns. Not the ones that have been manufactured in the past 20 years. Can they produce a reliable firearm? Sure, but the percentage of unreliable ones is just too high to take a chance. There are so many other options available, from Ruger, S&W, etc. that have a much greater likelihood of working correctly out of the box. The S&W Shield is my go-to recommendation and there are some really good deals on them out there these days, both new and used.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. It is a Taurus Millennium G2. We did try a variety of ammo but I wouldn’t know what it was. And it came with 2 magazines and we tried both. Safety was disengaged. I haven’t googled the exact model and read reviews. My husband did some work on a truck for a friend and he told him he didn’t have money for the parts and gave him this gun instead. Had I been out shopping, I’d read a massive amount of reviews. It just so happened that we had made a decision prior that I needed to find something, learn how to use it, etc in the event that something happened at our house. Sounds like, from what I’ve read, warranty takes forever so it seems like I’ll have lots of time to catch up on reviews.

I was hoping I could learn on this one and maybe down the way once I knew more to have an educated opinion, I’d pick something else up.

Sounds to me like they guy you got the gun from may have reassembled it wrong. My daughter has a G2 and other than the trigger being crap it has ran flawless. Also have a buddy I shoot with on occasion that has one that has been flawless as well. My want to google assembly instructions on youtube before you send it in and give that a try.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the thorough responses. I’m not necessarily looking for a budget gun but I’ll definitely look into the suggestions. We have a safe with options inside, but I don’t think another 9mm. My husband has a nice 45 but it felt a bit big for my hands. Didn’t love it. I’ve just been wanting a 9mm for myself and I thought it was going to work out. I have every intention on sending this Taurus in for repair, but I’ve been uneasy about specifically using for home defense once it gets back. I was hoping I was being a bit over cautious but like others pointed out..it’s a big risk. This gun certainly hasn’t made the best first impression.

Once you get it back and run a couple hundred rounds through it to insure proper operation it should be a good. All machinery is subject to failure whether in be a budget item or top of the line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom