New gun won’t fire..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but friends don't let friends trust their lives to Taurus handguns. Not the ones that have been manufactured in the past 20 years. Can they produce a reliable firearm? Sure, but the percentage of unreliable ones is just too high to take a chance. There are so many other options available, from Ruger, S&W, etc. that have a much greater likelihood of working correctly out of the box. The S&W Shield is my go-to recommendation and there are some really good deals on them out there these days, both new and used.

Would love to argue some of this but we all have our own opinions:cool:, but I agree 100% with the Shield statement, I have the 45 shield and it is excellent!!

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had Taurus before -- pieces of ****.

You're better off with a hi-point for dirt-cheap gun. Or simply save a little more and get a Glock.

if money is not too much of an issue, i suggest going to the range and trying out several guns from reputable brands. Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc.

if you're brand new to shooting, i'd highly suggest taking an NRA familiarization and safety course, or getting an instructor. It could save your life.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they guy you got the gun from may have reassembled it wrong. My daughter has a G2 and other than the trigger being crap it has ran flawless. Also have a buddy I shoot with on occasion that has one that has been flawless as well. My want to google assembly instructions on youtube before you send it in and give that a try.

I’ll certainly look at that before sending it off! Thanks!

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but friends don't let friends trust their lives to Taurus handguns. Not the ones that have been manufactured in the past 20 years. Can they produce a reliable firearm? Sure, but the percentage of unreliable ones is just too high to take a chance. There are so many other options available, from Ruger, S&W, etc. that have a much greater likelihood of working correctly out of the box. The S&W Shield is my go-to recommendation and there are some really good deals on them out there these days, both new and used.

It does seem like they are a little bit more compact also...which I like. I shot my sisters 9mm (not sure on what kind) but it was really large and she carries it. I’m thinking I’d like to get something I can use if I ever decide to go down that path later on.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, don't listen to the "Don't buy a Taurus" crowd, its like getting opinions on which brand of car to buy. The first thing I would do is look up a local gun smith and take it to them. Ask around in here for recommendations per location. They might be able to fix it for cheap or they will say it needs to be sent to Taurus. Once you get it fixed, take it to the range and try it out. No firearm should be trusted until you feel comfortable with it after putting several hundred rounds down range.

As for the size, each company has firearms in three sizes: full size, compact and sub-compact. If I remember correctly the Taurus you have is a sub-compact, or what some call concealed carry size. Now after shooting it you are still not comfortable, then I would look at different options. One thing to think about though is smaller sized pistols are great for concealability (or those with smaller hands) but they will often have more felt recoil due to their lighter frames. Even though full size pistols might initially feel cumbersome they may feel more comfortable to shoot as they can be easier to control. Either way, once you get a firearm you need to practice with it! Take some basic and defensive shooting classes and put in time at the range, at least once a month. Having a firearm is not the same as being able to use it effectively.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, since in your words "you are a complete newbie". You should mayyyyyyyybe keep some semi auto and use it for practice, and get you a revolver in the use of defense. Remember Mr. Murphy, he pops up and the worst times. Even though I like the Taurus revolvers, their semi's are hit and miss. There are too many good weapons today that can be had for cheep, to rely on a company that has a spotty reputation at best. If this has already been posted, "SORRY"

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get the Taurus fixed and as suggested run a couple hundred rounds thru it. If it does fine the friend probably screwed it up and it should be OK for home defense. If it has problems get rid of it and buy something else. I prefer revolvers for home defense but some like S&W, Ruger, Hi-Point and it's high priced cousin (Glock)

Try a few and pick what YOU like.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll repeat what was said above...

Friends don't let friends depend on a Taurus for self defense!

There are a few other brands and particular guns I would mention also but the fans of those would get riled up.

I'm as frugal, tight, cheap or whatever you want to call it as anyone, but please don't trust your life to an unreliable gun no matter what brand or model it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom