New gun won’t fire..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, don't listen to the "Don't buy a Taurus" crowd, its like getting opinions on which brand of car to buy.

In my experience those that say Taurus are good to go don't shoot much while those that say they are junk tend to shoot a lot. I have friends that shoot a lot. One shoots probably 60,000 rounds a year and many others probably shoot 1000 a month. These folks don't let anything Taurus see the inside of their safe. Just sayin...

zeronight6r6

Marksman
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already suggested. I didn’t read all the responses thoroughly but did the friend provide you with the Taurus Security System key?

“Taurus family of semi-auto pistols now feature the Taurus Security System, which provides instant-ready defense with built-in ability to secure your pistol and make it inoperable at the turn of a key.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already suggested. I didn’t read all the responses thoroughly but did the friend provide you with the Taurus Security System key?

“Taurus family of semi-auto pistols now feature the Taurus Security System, which provides instant-ready defense with built-in ability to secure your pistol and make it inoperable at the turn of a key.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Absster This occurred to me last night, I have one of these lock keys some where around here if you gun is safety locked.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience those that say Taurus are good to go don't shoot much while those that say they are junk tend to shoot a lot. I have friends that shoot a lot. One shoots probably 60,000 rounds a year and many others probably shoot 1000 a month. These folks don't let anything Taurus see the inside of their safe. Just sayin...

Again, this is why I suggested taking any pistol they own to the range and put several boxes of ammo through it. I have a Taurus P840 that has yet to have an issue after 1,000+ rds through it after a couple of months of ownership. The only issue it has is the mag rattle. If they have a firearm that constantly has issues at the range, then yes I would not use it for self defense, but that goes for any brand.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't own a Kimber. High price junk. I've seen more Kimbers fail that I have seen run right. Heck...even Rock Island's run more reliably than a Kimber. Price doesn't equal reliability.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good info! Thanks guys!

Sooo on the lock...my husband was able to get it to fire a couple of times that day. I assume that that might rule out the key and even rule out being assembled incorrectly?!

I looked at a revolver in the classifieds last night and had wondered if one or the other might be better for me...specially for hone defense. But I don’t know enough of the pros and cons of that. I’d have to do some more reading.

Again, I really appreciate all the information shared.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good info! Thanks guys!

Sooo on the lock...my husband was able to get it to fire a couple of times that day. I assume that that might rule out the key and even rule out being assembled incorrectly?!

I looked at a revolver in the classifieds last night and had wondered if one or the other might be better for me...specially for hone defense. But I don’t know enough of the pros and cons of that. I’d have to do some more reading.

Again, I really appreciate all the information shared.
Did he get it to fire reliabiably or just for a couple of shots and it failed again.
Nothing wrong with a revolver, just capacity issues.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A revolver is great for those that want real dependability and are willing to learn how to use speedloaders quickly. Also good for those that just want a gun they can toss in a drawer and shoot occasionally.

As far as Taurus reliability, my old M66 revolver has had many thousands of rounds put thru it with only 2 issues, both not the guns fault. 1) My wife had it for years in her headboard and did not do routine cleaning at least twice a year as I told her. It got hard to swing out the cylinder because of dust build up. I have seen this with high dollar revolvers too. 2) While trying to fix problem 1, I had trouble getting the side plate back on correctly. I figured that out yesterday and fixed it.

Now I do own a couple of semi-autos but I only have revolvers and shotguns for HD. Several of them scattered around the house. (no kids) Everyone has their personal preferences so use what you like and feel comfortable with.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"HAHAHAHHA!!! bring yours and we will shoot until one fails. Bring lots of ammo BTW....."

Would love to accommodate you except for three things:
(1) As anyone who knows me can tell you I work six days a week. If I have a day off I would rather spend it with my beautiful bride rather than a hairy legged brother from OSA.
(2) I don't know if I want to waste 1000 rounds to find something out that I already know.
(3) I would have to prowl the pawn shops looking for a 45 caliber Hi-Point to make the competition EVEN!
:hithead:

Attachments

• qckcp.jpg
    qckcp.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom