New gun won’t fire..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That's good shooting. My wife is a good shot also. I like it that she has my back when we're out and about.

My wife rarely went shooting with me until she bought the snubby, and now I feel the same about my backup!! She enjoys the pistol and that makes a huge difference.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have three kimbers, 2 in the carry rotation and one from my past Bullseye days. No issues with any of them at all. I have heard Kimber bashers, but never seen the failures they discuss. IMG_5712.JPGKimber Custom Stainless II.JPG

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hang out a lot with Ken Hallock. Saw a lot of Kimbers in his shop for "tune-ups". Most had FTE, some had FTF. The major complaint was spending upwards to a thousand dollars for a pistol that needed work in order to make it run. Just like Taurus, Keltecs, and Hi-point, I guess every manufacturer has had some issues.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three kimbers, 2 in the carry rotation and one from my past Bullseye days. No issues with any of them at all. I have heard Kimber bashers, but never seen the failures they discuss.View attachment 128688View attachment 128689
I usually get the" I'm too busy" when I offer to do a shoot out with a Kimber hater. That's Ok, I know what I've got and know how well it performs.
I know some have had issues with $3000 custom guns, but that doesn't mean the gun is a piece of junk, and bashing it on the internet because of those rare issues that are correctable is really not cool.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never had guessed that "hating" Kimbers is so wrong. People bash Taurus, Springfield, Smiths etc...and go on with their lives. Apologies to you and your Kimbers if my comment on them as being a "piece of junk was hurtful. I meant in no way to offend.
BTW not a big Ford fan either...........

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, don't listen to the "Don't buy a Taurus" crowd, its like getting opinions on which brand of car to buy. The first thing I would do is look up a local gun smith and take it to them. Ask around in here for recommendations per location. They might be able to fix it for cheap or they will say it needs to be sent to Taurus. Once you get it fixed, take it to the range and try it out. No firearm should be trusted until you feel comfortable with it after putting several hundred rounds down range.

As for the size, each company has firearms in three sizes: full size, compact and sub-compact. If I remember correctly the Taurus you have is a sub-compact, or what some call concealed carry size. Now after shooting it you are still not comfortable, then I would look at different options. One thing to think about though is smaller sized pistols are great for concealability (or those with smaller hands) but they will often have more felt recoil due to their lighter frames. Even though full size pistols might initially feel cumbersome they may feel more comfortable to shoot as they can be easier to control. Either way, once you get a firearm you need to practice with it! Take some basic and defensive shooting classes and put in time at the range, at least once a month. Having a firearm is not the same as being able to use it effectively.

Except the "Don't buy a Taurus" is the gun equivalent of "Don't buy a Yugo". Sure, some people might say "Don't buy a Hi-Point" because that's like saying "Don't buy a Geo Metro", except Geo Metro's actually worked most of the time, were a lot of miles per dollar and are still seen running around today.

It's a bit of an exaggeration, but mostly accurate nonetheless.

In my experience those that say Taurus are good to go don't shoot much while those that say they are junk tend to shoot a lot. I have friends that shoot a lot. One shoots probably 60,000 rounds a year and many others probably shoot 1000 a month. These folks don't let anything Taurus see the inside of their safe. Just sayin...

That is a factor as well.

I could say don't buy a Star if you want to shoot a lot, because most of the Star handguns were made with softer alloys. If you only plan to shoot it a bit and carry it a lot, they tend to work pretty well. There are just too many reports (and I've personally seen quite a few) Taurus semi autos that just flat don't work.

I won't own a Kimber. High price junk. I've seen more Kimbers fail that I have seen run right. Heck...even Rock Island's run more reliably than a Kimber. Price doesn't equal reliability.

I've owned two Kimbers and both had significant issues. Kimber tends to have a higher than average rate of defects when compared to other brands. That being said, if one makes it through the first 1K rounds malfunction free, they're usually good to go.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except the "Don't buy a Taurus" is the gun equivalent of "Don't buy a Yugo"

ROFL, knew someone with a Yugo at one point. Their boyfriend had a motorcycle with a larger engine in it.... It was interesting to go for a ride though. You could grab the "oh crap" handles and make lane changes by just rocking it back and forth.

As far as the Taurus I was with the wife and she is looking for something small to keep with her and easy to rack. A Taurus was fairly easy, however the guys doing the sales also said they were the most common ones to come back in to be sent off for work to be done. It's personal preference but after seeing some video's where shaking them with the safety's all on allows it to fire really made me leery. I know things happen with all weapons but it's not a manufacturer I plan to trust my life with.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ROFL, knew someone with a Yugo at one point. Their boyfriend had a motorcycle with a larger engine in it.... It was interesting to go for a ride though. You could grab the "oh crap" handles and make lane changes by just rocking it back and forth.

As far as the Taurus I was with the wife and she is looking for something small to keep with her and easy to rack. A Taurus was fairly easy, however the guys doing the sales also said they were the most common ones to come back in to be sent off for work to be done. It's personal preference but after seeing some video's where shaking them with the safety's all on allows it to fire really made me leery. I know things happen with all weapons but it's not a manufacturer I plan to trust my life with.

Yeah, I found that out while research all the Taurus hate. It was a recall on 9 different models (thankfully mine is not on that list). I do know that my dad trusted his PT1911 as his service pistol and that he put plenty of rounds down range with it before he carried it. I've put several boxes through mine without a hiccup. Of course both of those models are not striker fire models. What I have found though is that the G2 Millenium the OP has is not part of that recall and so far has not shown any widespread problems. Not to mention that Forjas Taurus was bought in 2015 and the quality since then has been greatly improved. I can understand how people would have a soured opinion, but they should look at the model of gun first and not just the manufacturer (which in this case isn't the same except the name as CBC pretty much fired all the top dogs, replaced them and then revamped the manufacturing and QC departments).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never had guessed that "hating" Kimbers is so wrong. People bash Taurus, Springfield, Smiths etc...and go on with their lives. Apologies to you and your Kimbers if my comment on them as being a "piece of junk was hurtful. I meant in no way to offend.
BTW not a big Ford fan either...........

I don’t trash any platform and I own a Taurus.
When you go after someone’s weapon they use for personal defense and in competition with thousands of rounds fired through it with zero failures and where a single failure can take a person from first to almost last, you don’t pick some models that have a history of poor workmanship that have to continually be sent back to the factory for repair and then are sold once they come back from the repair shop. This forum is full of those reports.

Latest posts

Top Bottom