New gun won’t fire..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received a Taurus 9mm, new, and the plan was to use it for home defense after learning to shoot and taking classes. I went to the gun range to shoot it for the first time and the trigger wouldn’t pull. I’m a complete newbie (I had never even held a loaded gun before that day) but the people that I was with knew what they were doing. One person was able to get it to fire twice but nothing more. We talked to the repair counter and they said we’d have to mail it into Taurus as no one is able to work on them because they come with a lifetime warranty. So it has to be mailed off.

I read some not great things about their warranty but people complain more than they praise...so I’m hopeful, but what I’m more concerned about is...using it for home defense after this. Especially since it wouldn’t function out of the box. Certainly don’t want to be in a situation where throwing it at someone is the defense (kidding...mostly kidding...100% kidding). Any advice from people that know better than I do?! Trust it once it’s fixed? Find something else?

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need more details, bro. What model of Taurus 9mm is it? What kind of ammo were you using? Did you try a variety of ammo? Did you try different magazines? If there is a safety was it disengaged? Did you try Googling reviews of the exact model of Taurus?

If you've tried a variety of those things and it is still failing like that then I would not trust my life on it as a defense weapon. Once every few hundred or a thousand rounds is one thing, but if it won't fire right out of the box...yikes.

If this is a self defense weapon then what is your life worth? I'll bet it's worth a few extra bucks for a Glock, Sig, S&W, H&K, Ruger etc. Please don't take that as being rude, but in the gun industry you get what you pay for.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. It is a Taurus Millennium G2. We did try a variety of ammo but I wouldn’t know what it was. And it came with 2 magazines and we tried both. Safety was disengaged. I haven’t googled the exact model and read reviews. My husband did some work on a truck for a friend and he told him he didn’t have money for the parts and gave him this gun instead. Had I been out shopping, I’d read a massive amount of reviews. It just so happened that we had made a decision prior that I needed to find something, learn how to use it, etc in the event that something happened at our house. Sounds like, from what I’ve read, warranty takes forever so it seems like I’ll have lots of time to catch up on reviews.

I was hoping I could learn on this one and maybe down the way once I knew more to have an educated opinion, I’d pick something else up.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to say this. I would be asking for a complete refund. There is no way I would trust my life or the lives of my family to a weapon that does nothing with the first pull of the trigger right out of the box. Please consider purchasing another firearm for your protection. There's more at stake here than monetary concerns.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, those were the Gen1, this is a Gen2.

So, I'm not clear why you don't want to send it in, again? I mean, you already own this gun, if you can get it fixed for free, then that would be ideal, wouldn't it? I own several Tauruses (Taurii?) and while I do have 2 that need to go back and I haven't bothered (one mistimed cylinder on a revolver and 1 semi-auto that needs an extractor), I have at least 3 or 4 others that go bang reliably every time you pull the trigger. Once you get it back from repair, you put a bunch of rounds through it, get comfortable with it, and you're set.

Unless you just don't want to. Then spend the money and buy a Glock. Or hell, someone is selling a $300 older used XD9 4" on here right now. Tons of options, but if you're looking to save money, send off the one you've got.

Latest posts

Top Bottom