New Hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha. Starting with a rifle is easiest, but like I said, it's a 16 day season and many WMAs restrict the season down even further. Getting a bow, or a crossbow, ups your deer season to 3.5 months. Scouting is the most important, and difficult, part. There's a ton of info on YouTube. Spending time in the woods and paying attention to your surroundings is vital. A lot of hunting gear offered isn't necessary. A good knife, drag rope, flashlight / head lamp, some camo and your weapon is really all you need. Don't get caught up in the gimmicks. Always have the wind blowing away from where you think the deer will be coming from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
A crossbow is easy enough to shoot. Becoming a good hunter is a matter of spending time in the woods. Start reading about the stages of the rut, deer change as the season progresses and you need to adjust with them.
Also, get off the ground. As soon as I purchased my first tree stand, the number of deer I saw went up 10 times. lock up your tree stand.
Get out there now and look for sheds, it will tell you the areas where deer are at.
Scout, but be clean, clean boots you only wear in the woods, don't walk around touching everything.
learn what a scrape looks like, and plot them on a map, look for patterns.
Deer are edge animals, look on the edge of fields. Larger bucks will be further back in the woods than smaller bucks, but still near the edge.
Learn what natural funnels are, deer will walk in areas where they feel safe.
get some game cameras, midway has some cheap ones on sale this week for $20. If you are hunting on public land, do not put out expensive cameras, they will get stolen. Lock your cameras to the tree, the lock will keep honest people honest.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a wind checker, the puff kind with powder. Use it constantly and figure out how the wind works in the area you are hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom