New Kid On The Block

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
01OSA1.JPG

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. We like to cruise too and are thinking of another one. The virus **** us down for a few years now. Might do one next year. The last one we were on, we met 2 different couple from up north. One couple from Montana and another from North Dakota. They both just hop ships all winter to escape the cold. Sounded like a good retirement plan to me!

Last edited:

USAF Retired

Marksman
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. We like to cruise too and are thinking of another one. The virus shut us down for a few years now. Might do one next year. The last one we were on, we met 2 different couple from up north. One couple from Montana and another from North Dakota. They both just hop ships all winter to escape the cold. Sounded like a good retirement plan to me!
Being from North Dakota originally, I can absolutely understand winter cruises. Of course any reason to cruise is a good reason😂

Last edited by a moderator:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have never met anyone who has been on an Alaskan cruise that didn't love it. Other than a refueling stop in Anchorage on our way to Southeast Asia (52 years ago) I have only been to Alaska once. The year before I retired we took a couple KC-135s and, I think, three B-52s to Fairbanks for three weeks in the dead of winter. Not the best temporary duty I ever had. For years we (I) said I wouldn't go on a cruise if I needed a jacket and couldn't wear shorts. Well, I woke up and got over that but we just haven't found the opportunity for the last couple years. We helped our neighbors plan theirs that sailed this past July. I was amazed at the very poor and expensive airline schedules between OKC and SeaTac. We are taking the Allure OTS on her first sailing out of Galveston in Nov and then have a Celebrity back-to-back in Feb out of Ft Lauderdale. May have to look at next summer for Alaska. As we have gotten older we don't do the shore excursions that require a lot of physical activity so the ship itself has become a destination of sorts. I guess that is both the good news and the bad news. I do think it would be thrilling were you to be able to see a whale from your balcony.
We saw lots of whales blowing and some breaching from the balcony during the trip down the coast.
Those on the ocean side saw very little to nothing.
We went on the last week in July. When we went into the fiord, it was cloudless and beautiful. The crew members we befriended said it was the first cruise that happened since spring so I recommend going later.
Light Jacket weather on the balcony.
We've been on two and that was enough of the cruise deal. We found enough places we want to go to that a fly and land excursion will be the next.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. We like to cruise too and are thinking of another one. The virus **** us down for a few years now. Might do one next year. The last one we were on, we met 2 different couple from up north. One couple from Montana and another from North Dakota. They both just hop ships all winter to escape the cold. Sounded like a good retirement plan to me!
I've been reading about the ship hoppers. Sounds interesting to be sure.
As we are part time RV'rs I've also read about those with cabin cruiser boats that ply the inland waterways the same way we roll down the interstates.
As a fisherman, that adds to the appeal as well as you just throw out an anchor to spend the night vs pay a park.
Some great stories out there from those boaters.
Several years ago, but a couple from Broken Arrow retired and took those inland waterways from Tulsa all the way around Florida, up the coast to the St Lawrence Seaway, down the great lakes into the rivers finally getting back to Broken Arrow after a year on the boat. Sounds like a great adventure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom