New Kimber for CCW! The EVO SP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Kimber did away with the Solo a year or two ago, which as I recall, needed premium (expensive) ammo to run reliably. In fact, I think Kimber even said so on it's web site. It sure was an eye-ball turner, but a pretty gun that won't go bang all the time or that you can't afford ammo for is just a ... a decoration? It was replaced in the line-up with the SA only Micro line. The Micro .380 and the Micro 9MM are fine little guns, much like the Sig P238/938 and the Colt Mustang. Now, Kimber has jumped back in with another try at making a striker fired gun that will run well. Good luck. I'm not even remotely interested in it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was interested until I saw the mag capacity. These companies need to figure out that 10rds in the bar right now.

Sig sure shook the shelves in the LGS and Online/Big Box stores all over with the P 365. But I wonder if it has really impacted the sales of the other popular small 9mm pistols that much? Might be interesting to do some research on that.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing Kimber, price will be somewhere close to $1,000.00
MSRP: $850-$1050 depending on model so maybe 700-950?
Likes been said, I thought the solo looked nice but never heard good things about it. I have no interest in this new model either. I do like my Kimber Custom II and I love my k6s DC. I did notice Kimber has a DA/SA revolver now. I may have to give one a try. However, it's only available with a 2" or a 3" barrel.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traded for a Stainless Kimber Solo a while back, owners manual read, use premium self defense ammunition, mine ran great using Winchester White Box and my light reloads. I liked the 8 round magazine better than the 6 round. Using hydra-shoks, the recoil was a bit much for me, especially with the 6 round magazine. For me the 6 round magazine needed a finger extension, the 8 round was a bit too much. Beautiful firearm, traded it for a Sig Sauer P224 9MM

norm9278

New to the site!
Reaction score
A new Kimber doesn't have to cost $1000.....

I kinda think they're reasonable, considering they aren't made of plastic. The K6 has a nice smooth trigger too, and the whole gun is as smooth as a bar of soap. The hinged trigger on the Micro would take some getting used to for a 1911 guy.
6f93aeb0201edc32bd9a3a378af1b291.jpg
1307b2efabf2b16dd6974d80e6f66860.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks pretty slick, but the recent micro's from Kimber have me with the same awful taste in my mouth as the P365 does. I'm 0/3 on the P365 and 0/1 on the Solo.

norm9278

New to the site!
Reaction score
It looks pretty slick, but the recent micro's from Kimber have me with the same awful taste in my mouth as the P365 does. I'm 0/3 on the P365 and 0/1 on the Solo.
Expand on that if you would. I stopped by the shop to look at the P365, and those Kimbers caught my attention, as my EDC is a CDP Pro. I'm considering a lighter, smaller alternative to the CDP.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Expand on that if you would. I stopped by the shop to look at the P365, and those Kimbers caught my attention, as my EDC is a CDP Pro. I'm considering a lighter, smaller alternative to the CDP.

I had a Solo shortly after they launched. My issue was feeding. I don't know if it was mags or what, but about 1/30 rounds would stove pipe. Kimber said it had to be fed quality ammo, but I don't know how much more quality you can get with Federal AE and HST. I had 3 different mags I tried. One trip to Kimber and a 2 week turnaround saying "We could not replicate the issue". I had it fail on the line taking a class with two different instructors getting the same results after it was returned. Kimber didn't stand behind that weapon and I turned it for a yuge loss.

I've owned a dozen or so models in 45 include a CPD Pro (loved that weapon) over the years with zero issues. My CPD ate anything I fed it. The Solo, not so much

Latest posts

Top Bottom