New lightweight AR-15 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Saturday's trip was purely a function and set up trip. Had 3 ARs that I had recently built/rebuilt that hadn't been shot. I didn't have time to even zero them.

I too am very curious about the precision of this barrel. According to Bear Creek, they do all the manufacturing of their barrels in house; they don't start from blanks. At the price I paid if it offers even relatively decent accuracy they would be hard to beat. I paid $60, and they were on sale the other day for $48. For a lightweight mid length 16" barrel. Oh, it also had the gas block seat dimpled. My $250 Odin barrel didn't have the seat dimpled.

One other thing to note, the brake was effective; although LOUD. Usually when I shoot a light AR with the hard checkered A2 buttstock I can see the imprint of the checkering in my shoulder. None of that. Recoil was very light. Concussion was obnoxious. I'm also curious now to try some different muzzle devices to see the effect on recoil and muzzle rise.

I did get a video of my wife shooting the lightweight with brake and the Odin 18" with bare muzzle. The difference in recoil is interesting to watch. I'll try and get some video of me shooting next time out so I can post it. Here's the final test shots getting the block adjusted before putting the handguard back on.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is sweet no jump or anything hokey happening.
My .223 brake acted the same way.
But it did upset the face and ears a bit. Accuracy went south after a few rounds with it.

Seems the empty space allowed carbon to build up on the muzzle crown.
Tried different powders and same issues..OH well I didn't really need a brake anyway.
Same thing happened on my .308.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That is sweet no jump or anything hokey happening.
My .223 brake acted the same way.
But it did upset the face and ears a bit. Accuracy went south after a few rounds with it.

Seems the empty space allowed carbon to build up on the muzzle crown.
Tried different powders and same issues..OH well I didn't really need a brake anyway.
Same thing happened on my .308.

Yes. What's interesting is to watch the difference in muzzle movement between shots with full action operation and the last shot when the bolt locks back.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Rolling Thunder brake that is properly clocked will keep that muzzle rock solid.

I’m sure. However the Rolling Thunder is more $$$ than the barrel. Almost double last I checked on prices. Also, i need some better video, but it appears the muzzle isn’t moving much already from the recoil.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m sure. However the Rolling Thunder is more $$$ than the barrel. Almost double last I checked on prices. Also, i need some better video, but it appears the muzzle isn’t moving much already from the recoil.
You could get a titanium brake in the rolling thunder pattern! That’s what I have. It was pricey though.