New lightweight AR-15 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Update!

I've got the Faxon pencil barrel, removed the honkin muzzle brake. Purchased the Hogue 15* grip and Luth-AR triangle charging handle. Without mag, I'm at 3lbs 11.6oz, with the rubber optic cover. With loaded 10rd mag, 4lbs 1.5oz.

FW-15_4lb-1.5oz.jpg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I built an AR15 for NRA High Power Sporting rifle matches. I used a Hesse plastic lower that weighed 4.518 oz. A stripped aluminum lower weighed 8.6 oz. (I don't remember the brand). The rifle had to be under 9.5 pounds including the scope. I ended up light enough that I added some barrel weight under the handguard/forearm.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of lighter rifles. I've never tried to build one as light as possible but it sounds like fun.

I like the Kel-Tec SU-16 because it's just inherently light. 5 lbs 2 oz, no mag.

The little AR wasn't purpose built to be super light but it's pretty light anyway. Lightweight Colt A1 upper on a standard lower with Brownell's retro stock. 5 lbs 8 oz, no mag.

SU-16CA.jpg

Colt LtWt.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom