New Member from OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's cool. Any specific field or topic of focus? I'm curious what the job market is like here in the OKC metro. We will be staying here after I finish, though that's still a few years off.
Psychoinformatics, data science, and meta-science; typically (but not only) applied to measuring and analyzing human behaviors in ecologically valid ways. The job prospects in OKC aren't as bad they may seem (i.e., not as many jobs as other locations, but generally not many qualified people in the area as competition). For example, I've done consulting work for some State organizations (relatively low pay but highly rewarding work) and in the private sector (e.g., AT&T, Dell, an insurance company). The AT&T deal was one of the best consulting gigs I've had (high pay, fun as hell, and mountains of data that led to a federal grant), whereas the insurance company gig was a mess from beginning to end. What are you interested in?

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Psychoinformatics, data science, and meta-science; typically (but not only) applied to measuring and analyzing human behaviors in ecologically valid ways. The job prospects in OKC aren't as bad they may seem (i.e., not as many jobs as other locations, but generally not many qualified people in the area as competition). For example, I've done consulting work for some State organizations (relatively low pay but highly rewarding work) and in the private sector (e.g., AT&T, Dell, an insurance company). The AT&T deal was one of the best consulting gigs I've had (high pay, fun as hell, and mountains of data that led to a federal grant), whereas the insurance company gig was a mess from beginning to end. What are you interested in?

I really enjoy finance and economics and was initially going to do Applied Economics, but a friend at OG&E talked me out of it unless I was willing to move, considering I didn't want to do regulatory type stuff. I enjoy insurance and risk analysis somewhat, though not sure I want to actually be an actuary. (Definitely do not want to look at mortality tables and treat people like just another value in a function.)

I have some old co-workers at BOK that work in the mortgage department and they have tossed out hiring me when I'm done. They need an all around data type of person to do things as wide as crunching customer data to forecasting the movement of rates, etc. I really using math to solve problems, especially when it comes to finance and credit applications, though that approach has its limits in financial forecasting. (Financial crisis should have made that clear by now.) I would like to do something meaningful and interesting at least. I guess I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really enjoy finance and economics and was initially going to do Applied Economics, but a friend at OG&E talked me out of it unless I was willing to move, considering I didn't want to do regulatory type stuff. I enjoy insurance and risk analysis somewhat, though not sure I want to actually be an actuary. (Definitely do not want to look at mortality tables and treat people like just another value in a function.)

I have some old co-workers at BOK that work in the mortgage department and they have tossed out hiring me when I'm done. They need an all around data type of person to do things as wide as crunching customer data to forecasting the movement of rates, etc. I really using math to solve problems, especially when it comes to finance and credit applications, though that approach has its limits in financial forecasting. (Financial crisis should have made that clear by now.) I would like to do something meaningful and interesting at least. I guess I haven't quite figured that part out yet.
cool...sounds like a good plan!

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bumped it up in the "What's new" at the top of this page. It's OKC metro Eat and shoot March 18. It has the details in the thread

For sure. I'll definitely try to make it. My father, unfortunately, is very ill with cancer and I'm an only child so I have to make periodic trips back and forth to Wichita, but I think that is an off weekend for his treatment, so I will definitely do my best to be there.

Thank you for the invite.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the most broadly applicable languages (i.e., across domain) for data science and stats based work are, currently, Python and R.

Yeah I figured R was one that I needed to be more fluent in. I still have a few years to go before graduating, but I'm planning to do the UCO masters when I finish my last few math requirements at OSU and it does not have any programming requirements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom