New Mexico - Long Range Muzzleloader Elk Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"You close your non firing eye with irons"

We are going to have to really disagree on this. First off by closing an eye you put a lot of extra strain on the one that is open. You immediately loose depth perception. The pupil constricts slightly due to more perceived light. Your facial muscles are now creating tension around the eye which causes it to change shape which can effect vision quickly and can even shift impact of your shots. For folks that close one eye, they will find that the sharpness of their sights quickly fades in about 3-4 seconds. On top of that you are closing off 1/2 of your vision which can be a real draw back in a dynamic environment or engaging a moving target.
Now it takes some practice to keep both eyes open and mentally use your dominant eye as the main vision source, but it isn't that hard to do, and if you must, you can squint your off eye a bit to aide making your dominant eye the main vision source, but don't close your off eye unless it's shoot like a pirate day!
Remember sight radius is your best friend when shooting iron sights, and I would venture that a good set of aperture sights... What most folks call peep sights, can rival the results of a scope sighted rifle as long as the target is visible to the "naked eye". Do scopes have their place? Oh hell yes! But irons can do some very fine shooting as well, it just takes a bit more training.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are folks with compound bow equipment and skill capable of taking longer shots than many of us can with a crossbow. I own a couple of crossbows and a compound bow. I prefer a crossbow when shooting from a ground blind, but use my compound bow when in a tree stand. The scope I have doesn't really provide anything other than a drop line. I don't notice any magnification at all.

Regardless, you still have to be able to make the shot and actually locate an animal. Shooting, hunting, or whatever is never a guarantee of bringing home anything. Even with all of the fancy new equipment.

I have a lifetime license and have killed more than one deer in a season once. I think I'm safe in saying that everyone other lifetime license holder isn't putting 6 or so in their freezer every year and that most OTC license holders aren't either.

Do we get to rag on cell game cameras next? :bolt:
I'm in that lifetime license holder group and generally only 1 deer per year. now, that's been because we used to have an elk in the freezer too but lost that a couple years back. So, maybe 2 deer at the most.

Fire away with the game cameras - I'm cool with whatever is legal. Too cheap to pay for a cell camera and real time photos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom