New Mexico

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
1000000195.jpg
20220926_072828.jpg

The SUV's in the back ground with the mule deer are mine and my daughters and the creek runs through Rio Rojo and you can watch or catch.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Also known as the suicide bridge. There are stations along the bridge with direct access to suicide help lines.
When we were there around 5 years ago, NM dept of transportation were cutting the padlocks off the rails. The padlocks are engraved with the names of those that have jumped and placed there in memorial by their families. Similar to the crosses on highways marking where someone died. It was pretty sad reading some of what was engraved on those locks.
For those that don't know, so many people have jumped off this bridge with so many locks around the center that it was having an effect on the engineering aspects of the bridge. I don't know all the details, but that's what we were told.
The next time we went there two years later, there were a lot more locks.
We parked in the rest area and as you walk to the bridge the words "Last Kiss" is painted on the bridge ..... Told my wife that sounded pretty suicidal and then we seen the call boxes and locks. Pretty sad history for such a spectacular back drop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom