New ML - Woodman Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would spend about the same amount on a used Savage ML2 smokeless ML. Once you go smokeless you'll never go back unless smokeless isn't allow in the state you're hunting in. In that case, I'd shoot another ML lol. BP or BP substitutes will never touch my Savage ever lol.
I looked and looked for a Savage a few years ago and finally gave up as they were as rare as hen's teeth. I need to start another search.

I looked on this link I posted and it recommended Buckhorn 209 powder which I never heard of before. It sounds pretty much like smokeless without being smokeless. Expensive powder though, $70 a half pound.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked and looked for a Savage a few years ago and finally gave up as they were as rare as hen's teeth. I need to start another search.

I looked on this link I posted and it recommended Buckhorn 209 powder which I never heard of before. It sounds pretty much like smokeless without being smokeless. Expensive powder though, $70 a half pound.
Blackhorn 209 is clean and a really good powder, but scarce as hens teeth has applied to it for the last couple or three years. It’s starting to show back up, but it’s not cost effective to use. Many of the serious muzzleloader enthusiasts I know are going back to Triple 7 due to cost.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

It will 100% be worth it if you can find one. If not, look at the smokeless conversions like @Oklahomabassin has. If smokeless is legal, there's really no reason not to go that route unless it's cost prohibitive or you're wanting to stay traditional....not including modern inlines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom