New OK landowner from AZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Arizona but just bought enough of McIntosh county to hunt deer, turkey, and hogs if they show up. I'm seeking land management tips to make sure the deer always show up :-). I'm a retired Army veterinarian (Vet -squared) and look forward to hunting and fishing on our land with the family. Until I retire from my present job, I think I'll only be able to be in OK about 20 days a year over three or four trips, or coming to and from seeing family and other land in Kansas. Hopefully, that's enough to harvest a deer or few. This summer and early fall, I plan on placing some salt licks/blocks, maybe a huge feeder (low maintenance as possible), and figuring out stands/blinds. Later, I'm envisioning planting some food plots with a side-by-side and some small implements and looking at improving habitat (reclaiming from cattle grazing). God bless Oklahoma and Happy Friday!

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I don’t know how much land you have but you might be surprised at how much our Wildlife Department offers at No or little cost.
Thanks; we have about 180 acres fenced. I'll be sure to check out the Wildlife Department website fully while buying licenses and such.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks; we have about 180 acres fenced. I'll be sure to check out the Wildlife Department website fully while buying licenses and such.
Contact your local game warden. He’ll come out and take a look. Possibly putting you in touch with resources that can offer work or discounted work for habitat improvements. Contacts for affordable equipment rental subsidized by the state etc.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Arizona but just bought enough of McIntosh county to hunt deer, turkey, and hogs if they show up. I'm seeking land management tips to make sure the deer always show up :-). I'm a retired Army veterinarian (Vet -squared) and look forward to hunting and fishing on our land with the family. Until I retire from my present job, I think I'll only be able to be in OK about 20 days a year over three or four trips, or coming to and from seeing family and other land in Kansas. Hopefully, that's enough to harvest a deer or few. This summer and early fall, I plan on placing some salt licks/blocks, maybe a huge feeder (low maintenance as possible), and figuring out stands/blinds. Later, I'm envisioning planting some food plots with a side-by-side and some small implements and looking at improving habitat (reclaiming from cattle grazing). God bless Oklahoma and Happy Friday!
My son lives up by Deer Valley Airport.

James G HOWDY.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom