New OK legislation protects drivers who hit protesters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This method sometimes resulted in searing images of drivers plowing through crowds, causing serious injuries and in some cases, deaths.

Now, Republican politicians across the country are moving to stop the road-blocking maneuver, proposing increased penalties for demonstrators who run onto highways and legal immunity for drivers who hit them. The bills are among dozens introduced in Legislatures aimed at cracking down on demonstrations.

“It’s not going to be a peaceful protest if you’re impeding the freedom of others,” said Rep. Kevin McDugle, the author of an Oklahoma bill granting criminal and civil immunity to people who drive into crowds on roads. “The driver of that truck had his family in there, and they were scared to death."

https://www.koco.com/article/new-legislation-would-protect-drivers-who-hit-protesters/35584863

That's right, protest all you want. Just not in the road

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good law, we have many.....now will they enforce it statewide or this just more lip service? Seems to me we have more laws that aren’t enforced so we make up new ones that some junior god won’t enforce.

Now prove me wrong please "........ I don’t know but as you get older you see the games played on those of us just trying to raise a family in our younger years

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*A bill granting drivers immunity for hitting protestors easily cleared an Oklahoma Senate committee recently on a 8-1 vote. Two others are pending in the state House.*

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll play the devil's advocate here since I have no trust in government, there better damn sure be something very specific to protestors in the roadway only.

This part here "Legislatures aimed at cracking down on demonstrations." is way to vague.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are surrounded by an angry mob any rational person would feel threatened. In such a situation you by all means should be legally allowed to give at least light throttle and push through the crowd. Injuries/death would be justified and no fault assigned to the driver. In a sensible, logical, sane world anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom