New paddle fish state record!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most likely, if a diver did die because of a catfish, it was because he got his hand into the catfish’s mouth and the fish got wedged in its lair. The diver then ran out of air or panicked and drowned.
I took a certification class back around '95, and after the last day of class, we all went out to eat. While we were waiting for the food to be delivered, he told us about his experiences as a diver in Oklahoma lakes. One in particular stuck with me.

This was several years earlier, and he was diving with a tank that didn't have gauges, just what he called a "jiggle valve" (or something like that). He'd been down spearfishing for quite some time, and wasn't sure how long, so he was getting ready to head up when he speared an 18" catfish.

He was doing alright until he tried to pull it in; the catfish went berserk, stirring up the mud in an already murky lake, causing him to roll over onto his back, and, worst of all, knocking his mask loose and filling it up with the murky, muddy water. And to top it off, it was getting late in the day, so it was even darker than normal underwater.

So there he was, lying on his back on the bottom of a lake with his mask full of murk, no idea how much air he had left, and a speared, thoroughly PO'd catfish still flapping wildly at him.

With no small effort, he managed to shove the catfish far enough away that it was at least no longer physically assaulting him, but he was still having difficulty rolling over because of the weight of the tank and the awkwardness of the position. After repeatedly trying, he was about to give up and drop his gear, then come back for it later, when he gave it one last try and managed to roll over onto his belly. He then got his hands and knees under him and pushed himself up into a kneeling position...

...and his head came completely out of the water.

Yes, friends and neighbors, he had almost been drowned by an eighteen inch catfish in three feet of water.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in high school, 30+ years ago, there was an incident on Eufaula lake where a kid, 10 or 12 yrs old I think, was skiing and was grabbed and pulled under by a catfish after he had fallen. It made the news because a wildlife biologist confirmed that the scratches around the kid’s abdominal area and legs were consistent with the “teeth” of a catfish.

Witnesses said the kid fell and was waiting for the boat to circle back when he suddenly disappeared under the water, then popped back up frantic.

Granted that a kid of that age is a whole lot smaller than a grown man, but that would still take a hell of a big fish to get half of a 12 year old in its mouth.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That record was just broke at Keystone Lake again. 146.7 lbs! The guy who held the old record, for a little over a month, was the fishing guide for the guy who just landed the new world record!
fish.JPG

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid there was a story going around about 2 divers that worked for the government inspecting damns. The story says they dived to check a damn, no idea what lake, and only 1 came back scared out of his mind. Said the other was eaten by a huge catfish living at the base of the damn. I am sure it is just a fish tale but it is possible I guess.
That one has been going around for a while. I heard it when I was a teenager. I think I heard that story in connection with Lake Ellsworth’s dam. Maybe possibly Waurika.

Latest posts

Top Bottom