New panhandling technique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was and OTR Over the road Trucker 28 Years) the best one was a woman at the KEYS Truck Stop in Channelview TX, (Houston) She drove up in and older station wagon with 2 kids and the weather was kind of cool. The youngest must be about 14 months and the other 3 or 4.
"Mister, would you be interested in buying my late husbands watch? He passed away 6 months ago and we are broke and hungry!" I looked at the Cheap $10 Timex and gave her $20 and the watch back. Told her to take those kids inside and get warm and something to eat. Well she went truck to truck. She must of made at least $100 that night!
A week later I'm back at the same truck stop, and the same woman with same story and watch. Well the CB RADIO went wild, and I don't think she made a $1.00 that night.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was loading some stuff I bought at Home Depot in downtown Tulsa in my truck and this guy starts walking towards me. I looked at him and told him I didn’t need any help. He kept walking towards me until I pulled my assisted knife out to cut a strap on something to make it fit in the truck. He stopped in his tracks and said oh ****, he’s got a knife and turned away and left.

This is the knife I was carrying that day. I’m not sure if he was on drugs or just messing with me but I was laughing to myself as I was driving off.
57C24124-DB4E-4408-A440-4FB0A65D2FAA.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We keep telling you we're afraid of you. You tell us not to be, but we just assume...

View attachment 304814

:laugh6:
So true! She has threatened me several times. Always, I know where you live and I will tell you wife on you. Like my wife does not already know I have a small ornery streak. :P

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we lived in Chicago some hobo's ...that is what we call them...came begging ...

My husband threw bucket of water on them...they wanted something ....thy never came back...

Now the other day a lady was counting her dimes and pennies change to pay for bread, potatoes, cheese and some chicken....no candy, soda, crap ....at Piggly Wiggly

I paid for her food and left before she knew what happened.

I remember during WW2 hobo's would
When we lived in Chicago some hobo's ...that is what we call them...came begging ...

My husband threw bucket of water on them...they wanted something ....thy never came back...

Now the other day a lady was counting her dimes and pennies change to pay for bread, potatoes, cheese and some chicken....no candy, soda, crap ....at Piggly Wiggly

During WW2 I remember Hobo's coming to the door begging for food. A lot of draft dodgers, AWOL's and some honest people that were really up against it. Ones to really look out for were the perverts and criminals on the run. My Mother packed a Colt .38 when she went to the door. One time a couple of little girls told my Mom that some man was showing them his Rope. Mom just got off work and ran to the bedroom and grabbed her .38. Asked where he was at now walking the RR tracks about 100+ yards away. She shot at him and he started running she hit the rails a few times. Went back to get more ammo and shots became impossible at couple hundred yards. Can't fault her for trying though.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We have done that to in the past. Can not anymore unless they are only a little short but it is a great feeling when you can.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived in Oregon the building our office was in was home to either a CPA or Lawyer (don’t remember which) who had a crew of panhandlers. They would have schedules of which corners and when. Many times the “pimp” would pick up and drop off at various corners for shifts. Quite the scam it was. If you gave them food they would usually refuse it or throw it away. They wanted cash only.
I see this all the time but with children getting dropped off and selling flowers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom