New Phone Scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw something on MSN.com yesterday about robo-calls; they talked about an app called “Hiya” that is highly rated and apparently helps block and then remove the hated robo-call. Check it out: Hiya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blocking the number doesn’t do anything? Really, that’s kind of a broad statement.
If you have repetitive calls from the same number or a known spammer, blocking the number actually does stop your phone from ringing. I’ve never got a call phone someone asking why I called them. Sounds like a number change is needed in your case.

Yes, if the same number keeps calling you blocking their number will stop it. However the majority of spam calls now use number spoofing to hide their true number and will use known local numbers to you.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, if the same number keeps calling you blocking their number will stop it. However the majority of spam calls now use number spoofing to hide their true number and will use known local numbers to you.

Spoofing phone numbers have been around for many years and it’s definitely not anything new. In fact years ago, you could create your own phone number using google and whatever NPA-NXX you wanted. I created 3 phone numbers for my family and was making free IP phone calls including international calls. This was back when phone companies were charging for international calls.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spoofing phone numbers have been around for many years and it’s definitely not anything new. In fact years ago, you could create your own phone number using google and whatever NPA-NXX you wanted. I created 3 phone numbers for my family and was making free IP phone calls including international calls. This was back when phone companies were charging for international calls.

This I know, I used several free web-to-ILEC sites back in the late 90's/early 2000's. That is not the point though. Due to number spoofing you could try blocking every single number that is a spammer and you wouldn't stop them from calling you. Its the same reason banning the IP of spammers doesn't work on email servers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spoofing is likely very real. I get the occasional call that comes across with 405-830-xxxx, which the area code and first three digits are the same as my cell phone number. Since I know no one else that has that prefix, I either never answer, or if I do, I answer with, "This is Terry." Some of those robocalls "key" on the word "hello" and begin their spiel. After I answer with "This is Terry," the call drops in about 10 seconds.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't answer numbers I don't know.

I get some texts now, too, from a number in my phone's home area, that says, "Who is this?" Those are fishing attempts, as well.

Some years ago (when I worked in a hospital) my department used to provide certain laboratory testing services. Occasionally, the VA would send a formal request for tests they did not provide.

I laughing recall a case where they provided a name, address and phone number for us to schedule a gentleman for some of these tests. It was my policy to call patients first to determine a suitable date when we had the earliest opening and when they would be available. I always notated these calls in our Schedule Log.

I tried to reach this man about eight times over a two week period but never got an answer. It would ring and I’d hear a message, “Phone Mail is not set up for this number.”

Three weeks out a VA Representative calls to complain that we were not scheduling their patient. I explained and informed them of the times, dates and no answers that I’d experienced. They told me that they would have him call us.

The next day an angry daughter calls wanting an explanation. I explained again and began to read the itemized list of attempts I’d made to reach him.

Well, she cut me off and said, “Dad will not answer calls from phone numbers he doesn’t recognize.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, she cut me off and said, “Dad will not answer calls from phone numbers he doesn’t recognize.”

I know what you mean. I figure if they're legit, they'll leave me a voicemail - and mine IS set up. But they never do, so... screw 'em. If it's someone I want to talk to, they'll likely know how to get ahold of me. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I figure if they're legit, they'll leave me a voicemail - and mine IS set up. But they never do, so... screw 'em. If it's someone I want to talk to, they'll likely know how to get ahold of me. ;)

Every once in awhile I’ll get a number that will leave a voice mail. It’s a danged recording of some resort or travel agency.

Latest posts

Top Bottom