New Phone Scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Quart

New to the site!
Reaction score
Don’t know about y’all, but I get phone calls almost daily trying different scams.

“This is the IRS and there is a warrant for your arrest”
This is (insert name or cause) and we are asking for a donation.
Hang up calls with a number, but no ID. (Bait call to make YOU call back)
My computer is sending error messages to Microsoft and they want to guide me through a procedure to fix it.
Asking if I want to buy or renew an extended warranty for a car I haven’t owned in years.

Today I got a new one. It was a robo-call. The recording told me that this was a call from my cell phone provider (they named the correct one) and said that my service is now suspended (the same phone I received the call on) and if I wanted to re-connect service I had to press 1 to speak to a representative.

Like the others, I hung up and blocked the number.
Ignoring them might be the best option for you. I think they are becoming more insist nowadays. I have just read some recent reports filed about IRS scam at http://www.whycall.me/800-674-6008.html. I think we need to inform our family about this. Protect them from falling victim to these scammers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ignoring them might be the best option for you. I think they are becoming more insist nowadays. I have just read some recent reports filed about IRS scam at http://www.whycall.me/800-674-6008.html. I think we need to inform our family about this. Protect them from falling victim to these scammers.
Welcome to OSA and the link.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has two voices she loves to screw with these callers, her little girl voice and her asian voice (she just mimics what her mom sounded like). I've had to leave the room to not blow her cover from laughing so hard. And she does it all with a straight face. Best one was this guy who was looking for donations, she had him convinced that she was all alone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do the same thing. And if they don’t leave a message, I block the number.
I blocked over a hundred numbers before learning that spoof calling can come from one number and mimic phone numbers from all over the country.
I've quit blocking and just don't answer or stop the call in progress as then they know its a live number.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love to mess with them. If an overseas scam they get the whistle blown in their ear, if they sound American I talk dirty to them until they hang up on me.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, blocking the number doesn't do anything. Most of these people use spoofed numbers. I get calls all the time from people asking why I called them. I tell them I didn't. They say my number came up on their phone. So some spammer spoofed my number to call someone local to me. Yes, its illegal, but you can't get the company name and 9 times out 10 its out of country anyway so no way to track it.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blocking the number doesn’t do anything? Really, that’s kind of a broad statement.
If you have repetitive calls from the same number or a known spammer, blocking the number actually does stop your phone from ringing. I’ve never got a call phone someone asking why I called them. Sounds like a number change is needed in your case.

I just don’t answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize or that are not in my contacts. I also don’t return calls to the irs, police or sheriff departments or anyone else asking for money.

I also don’t randomly give out my phone number. Only time I give out my number is when I have a business or personal reason to talk to someone again. Same goes for my email address. I have multiple email addresses but only a couple that are consistently used.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, I dont get these kind of calls and I've had the dame number for 15 years. I've been expecting something to change.
But I'll just do like always and say "hang on" and lay the phone down for 5-10 min. Come back and they are usually gone but if they are still there, I reassure them it will be just a minute and then lay the phone down again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom