New Pistol Target for the Range!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was at the Rattlesnake Festival in Apache today and there is a guy there with several different types of targets, one being this dueling tree that I picked up. It was $250 and that seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I took it home, spray painted the circles and me and my youngest boy took it out to the range to give it a test run. I'm liking it so far. The bigger circles I believe he said were T1 steel? maybe? and the smaller circles are AR500, so they can be shot with the big boy guns. Anyway, I believe he has a facebook or youtube or maybe both by the name of Double D Steel Gun Targets. Maybe he's even a member on here? Check him out if you make it to Apache this weekend for the snakefest, he's located down the hill to the west near the co-op. Also I forgot to take a picture of the dueling tree, so I'll go take one add that here shortly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never have had the opportunity to shoot a dueling tree or a Texas star but would like to try both one of these days..

1 1/2 minute Texas star clip.

We have two Texas Stars at our range in Ponca plus one that is only used during major matches. It's a Texas "Swinging" star.
There is a 10' tall piece of square tubing with an axle on top connected to a 4' piece of square tubing with the texas star attached.
It's propped up with a stick at a 20 degree angle that has a hinge in the middle with an eye bolt. The eye bolt has a cable attached to it that runs to a steel popper.
The shooter has to hit the popper first which trips the stick with hinge so the swinging star is released to swing. Then the shooter has to clean the plates off the star while it's swinging.
I've seen many mags dumped trying to clean those plates off, or they just take the penalty and move on. Toughest competition thing I've ever shot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was at the Rattlesnake Festival in Apache today and there is a guy there with several different types of targets, one being this dueling tree that I picked up. It was $250 and that seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I took it home, spray painted the circles and me and my youngest boy took it out to the range to give it a test run. I'm liking it so far. The bigger circles I believe he said were T1 steel? maybe? and the smaller circles are AR500, so they can be shot with the big boy guns. Anyway, I believe he has a facebook or youtube or maybe both by the name of Double D Steel Gun Targets. Maybe he's even a member on here? Check him out if you make it to Apache this weekend for the snakefest, he's located down the hill to the west near the co-op. Also I forgot to take a picture of the dueling tree, so I'll go take one add that here shortly.

Very cool, and you shot it well! Fun toy!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Good job slapping those plates.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never have had the opportunity to shoot a dueling tree or a Texas star but would like to try both one of these days..

We have two Texas Stars at our range in Ponca plus one that is only used during major matches. It's a Texas "Swinging" star.
There is a 10' tall piece of square tubing with an axle on top connected to a 4' piece of square tubing with the texas star attached.
It's propped up with a stick at a 20 degree angle that has a hinge in the middle with an eye bolt. The eye bolt has a cable attached to it that runs to a steel popper.
The shooter has to hit the popper first which trips the stick with hinge so the swinging star is released to swing. Then the shooter has to clean the plates off the star while it's swinging.
I've seen many mags dumped trying to clean those plates off, or they just take the penalty and move on. Toughest competition thing I've ever shot.

I've shot (TRIED!) a Texas Star one time. Very humbling experience ... especially when you watch the fellers who walk up and clean the plates like they're shooting a 12-inch plate at 7 yards!

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I never knew the name for those star targets, but he had a couple of them there as well. They were more expensive of course. Here's a picture of the one I bought. It sure is fun to shoot!

photostudio_1650131657752.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom