New pistols to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrashKing405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather just gave me two of his old pistols the other day. One is a Walther P38 that shoots nice, and is in good shape. The other is a Smith and Wesson revolver that currently doesn't work. I can't get the cylinder to rotate or come out. This pistol doesn't seem to have a model on it anywhere I can see, so no clue on where to start my research into fixing it. Any ideas? I can take pictures if needed.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Older S&W revolvers are notorious for having their ejector rods backing out under recoil, preventing the cylinder from releasing and eventually preventing it from rotating. Allegedly the newer ones don't suffer from this, at least not as badly. I don't think the problem is model-specific.

Start here: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/196579-stuck-cylinder.html

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you fix that scott? Is there anything? I have a similar issue with a 38 revolver.
Getting it open is the real trick. That link has some ideas from people who are far savvier than I. Once it's open it's a simple matter to screw the ejector rod back into place, as long as you remember that it's threaded backwards (rightie/tightie doesn't operate in S&W-land). I'm not aware of any way to permanently fix the problem... on my Model 10 I just make it a practice to check tightness of the ejector rod every few cylinders-full.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a SW M&P from about 1970. Had problems with it a few years ago. Tinkered with it and couldn't get it right. Same problem with an old Rossi. Won't advance the cylinder.
Not sure where they are, but got me interested in messing with it again