New pistols to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've personally never seen an original Fitz without a front sight. I'm not sure that the grip frame has been modified, but it's tough to tell by the photo. Looks like a DIY job IMO.

1B94280A-9186-40CB-9EC2-120B70A0D1FC.gif

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've personally never seen an original Fitz without a front sight. I'm not sure that the grip frame has been modified, but it's tough to tell by the photo. Looks like a DIY job IMO.

Also, didn't Fitzgerald work for Colt for many years?
I don't know if any genuine Fitz specials were Smith & Wessons, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, didn't Fitzgerald work for Colt for many years?
I don't know if any genuine Fitz specials were Smith & Wessons, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

You are correct. Fitz Specials were special order non-catalogue Colt guns. What I do not know is if JH Fitzgerald ever performed custom work on S&W revolvers on a private basis. I honestly haven't researched his work much.

The style of cylinder lock-up/ release that S&W uses is not advantageous to this type of barrel length modification so he may have only worked on Colt guns.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother is actually in the middle of building a similar revolver using a beater M1937 (Brazilian contract M1917) and a shortened Brazilian replacement barrel. The FS just needs permanently installed along with a yoke lock. I don't believe that he is going to do any conversion work on the grip frame though. The trigger guard will definitely not be touched.

RK1Yr8ih.jpg