New Python Issue..real or self imposed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not starting nor perpetuating any rumors. I'm just asking questions and seeing the responses.

Has anyone heard about issues or recalls on the NEW Colt Python? I know with any new or redesigned item there are a few that have issues. I know to wait until all the "bugs" have been worked out.....which is what I'm doing, plus waiting for the price/hype to go down.

Short stroking? Not fully allowing the single action to fully cycle and move the cylinder?

Then there are responses from others comparing their OLD Python/action to the NEW Python/action....wtf?? You can't do that ....they're both made a little differently and have all the issues been worked out with the new ones???

Maybe you've seen these videos, maybe you haven't. I present these for discussion:

Real issues? Expected with a new series that isn't quite like the old one? Man-made malfunctions? What are your thoughts and does this affect your purchase?

Problems at or around time 30:40

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a thread a week or so ago with two videos, but I don't think it was these videos. One by Hickock45 and another by GoldenWebb (or something, I think?). Hickock45's experienced a case of the cylinder failing to turn, which may have been short stroking the trigger. The other one had that issue, plus some light primer strikes.

I still want to get one. I think I'd probably be better off waiting until the kinks are worked out but if I see a good deal I might take my chances, and send it to Colt if necessary. I will not pay over MSRP, I'm thinking at some point they'll get down to somewhere around $1200 to $1300, and if I see one in that range I'll probably get it (I doubt they'll ever get much below that).

SCI put me on a waiting list, and said their price would be 15% over their cost, so if they do in fact get one and call me, and if it's in that price range I'll probably take a chance that there is nothing wrong with it. IF the trigger action is similar quality as what I remember of the vintage Pythons.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched hickock45's video on the python, he did nothing wrong. The pawl simply did not engage. As soon as he turned it sideways while jacking with it, it engaged then failed again. I havnt seen the workings in it but it is possible the spring that holds the pawl forward had broken causing it to lay back. I have seen the same failure on a few of the new pythons in videos so it shouldnt be hard for them to fix.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom