New question at an Integris doctor's appointment ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. If someone's going to sue, they sue. If a doctor is incompetent, a recording isn't going to absolve him.

You're missing something here. If he is incompetent, then video evidence is that much more concrete and you're not going to hire $500 an hour to litigate the case for months, or years. If he's NOT incompetent then it will clarify and provide a foundation for what was in the chart, again, mitigating significant attorney's fees.

It's just about saving time so the provider can leave at a decent hour.

That's a benefit I'm sure, but likely much further down the priority list.

But, if you're that opposed to it, pull out your phone and say, "I'll let you record me if you let me record you." Because of Hipaa, they'll likely rescind the request.

True, but I'll bet "no" works well too.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. If someone's going to sue, they sue. If a doctor is incompetent, a recording isn't going to absolve him.

It's just about saving time so the provider can leave at a decent hour.

But, if you're that opposed to it, pull out your phone and say, "I'll let you record me if you let me record you." Because of Hipaa, they'll likely rescind the request.
Sure it will. Patient goes in for surgery & says they were npo for the past 12 hrs, but lied & really ate 2 hrs ago. (If the patient told the truth, the doc would cancel the surgery). Patient Vomits during the procedure, aspirates & dies. A recording will prove the patient lied & absolve the doc.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're trying to eliminate a step in their mandated routine. The provider (doctor, nurse practitioner, physician assistant) has to dictate their daily patient's charts so the people in the transcription department can log the events.

If they can simply record the office visit, they can eliminate that step.

There's nothing wrong with the request, because everything that goes on in the doctor's office is going down on paper either way. Either you let them record it on tape, or they're going to record it on paper. No big deal.

What do you think your patient's chart is?

If you don't trust your doctor, (which, it appears, you do not), you should find a doctor you trust.

Nothing could be further from the truth -- I adore my MD. And trust him explicitly because he's not afraid to say "I'm kinda at a loss here -- let me see what I can find out real quick and we will go from there."

Integris Corporate ... Ehhh not so much. And you've just verified for me why I should not. I used to work for a medical malpractice attorney (defendant's attorney). Some patient's office visits RECORDED would have been our wet dream ...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. Two things cross my mind about this.
First, there is a medical organization (not 100 percent sure but I *think* it was the Saintly one -- and do not ask me the location, can't remember) but they had signs at the entrance that specifically said no recording allowed inside.
Second, if I were inclined to let anybody else be recording you're damned right I'd want to be recording too. LAPD chief Daryl Gates in his later years supposedly brought TWO of his own tape recorders to any interview because he was tired of being misquoted.

Oddly enough I've been in Integris owned facilities that have signs prohibiting recording of any type ... 🤔 Wonder how that is gonna work now. Lol

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ding ding ding........ it is called loss control. I'll betcha this was instigated by their med/mal insurance carrier.
I would agree, when it comes down to the last word and the Dr or PA or whoever says things like "it is going to take 6 weeks or more for this to heal" then they send your job a work release the next day and deny they told you anything about the 6 weeks, it just may bite them in the butt. Nothing other than what is put in the "official records" matters at all.

It would not bother me to be recorded, heck most of the time anymore "for my memory" I record everything. It sure makes a crazy difference when you can play the "alleged" Dr statements. :)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
"In the interest of helping our doctors with their notes and dictation thereof, would you allow us to record your appointment with the doctor from now on?"

A short, sweet "****, NO!" is all the PA heard from me -- and then dead silence fell over the exam room. "Point taken" was all he said after a second.

Those sorry bastards in corporate are just like a bunch of politicians. NOTHING they do is geared towards improving patient health -- only CYA for the business model ...
If there s a camera in the room, you are being recorded. Look up toward the ceiling. A lot of doctors are installing cameras in their exam rooms, just in case.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My doc spends more time on the computer than he does examining me. He’s told me he hates it. I accused him of searching webmd for my symtoms. Good guy with huge student loans to pay off.
Please, we all, including you, would rather be checking out future ex wives than examining you.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're trying to eliminate a step in their mandated routine. The provider (doctor, nurse practitioner, physician assistant) has to dictate their daily patient's charts so the people in the transcription department can log the events.

If they can simply record the office visit, they can eliminate that step.

There's nothing wrong with the request, because everything that goes on in the doctor's office is going down on paper either way. Either you let them record it on tape, or they're going to record it on paper. No big deal.

What do you think your patient's chart is?

If you don't trust your doctor, (which, it appears, you do not), you should find a doctor you trust.
Trust is a big word these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom