New Ruger mag project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Making a DIY redneck mag holder for my Boyd stock on a RAP 6.5. Hated the ruger mag and thought I could make one to take magpul 308 five and ten round. Mag is a perfect match and what LSS chassis use.
Anyway, here's the start.
Using 1/8" x 2" flat aluminum, cut and brazed for the mag to fit perfectly.
Once this box end is cooled, I will cut and braze the other end that will have the mag catch cut and map releases that I will have to create.
Never brazed before and doing a great job (insert patting one's own back soundtrack here).
Will keep posting as I go along.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Making a DIY redneck mag holder for my Boyd stock on a RAP 6.5. Hated the ruger mag and thought I could make one to take magpul 308 five and ten round. Mag is a perfect match and what LSS chassis use.
Anyway, here's the start.
Using 1/8" x 2" flat aluminum, cut and brazed for the mag to fit perfectly.
Once this box end is cooled, I will cut and braze the other end that will have the mag catch cut and map releases that I will have to create.
Never brazed before and doing a great job (insert patting one's own back soundtrack here).
Will keep posting as I go along.
Forgot to post picture...Ha!
Ruger mag project.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update on the project. Success after a horrible first try. Got better alum brazing rods from Tractor Supply and a better plan. Cut the front and back inside pieces to match perfectly to the mag inserted.
Will cut off the excess in front and will leave a small piece in the rear to cut a hole for a pin. The pin will hold the spring and mag catch I will make. It will all be mounted to a stock plate.
That's a 308 mag that is made to fit the ruger american. It's the one Lss chassis use. This is the 5 rounder but I will be getting the 10 rounder when I know it works.
Project plate 1.JPG
Project plate 2.JPG
project plate 3.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is it going to be mounted?
Here is partial view of the bottom of the stock and mag well. I will cut and fit flat aluminum to the bottom of the stock forming the piece to fit into the space where the screw for the mag catch is now (it's the one in the picture that I made out of washers. The mag catch screw will attach the flat piece that will fit perfectly over the magwell and extend to about the trigger. It's a perfect fit as the mag well on the stock is indented to the same depth as the mag catch and stock. I will cut a hole matching the magwell I just built and fit it in, where the mag will seat perfectly into to the bolt.
When I find the perfect spot, I will braze the bottom plate to the vertical magwell.
The front end will be cut off flush and the back will be cut off leaving a small piece to use to insert a spring/mag release that I will make and cut a slit in the mag well for it to fit into.

Latest posts

Top Bottom