New Savage MK II G (wood stock) .22LR Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked it up today. Cleaned and oiled; taking it to the range Saturday to break 'er in with CCI Standard Velocity. I am pleased to say that the plain wood stock looks pretty nice on it too. Here she be:
Savage MK II G.JPG

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Workin' that bolt. Man is it ever stiff! My Marlin XT22tr was this right at first too but slick as warm butter now. I'll take both to the range Saturday; will be fun to compare these two. Range report to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range report: Started shooting with CCI Standard Velocity. After the new rimfire rifle ritual of shoot one; punch the bore, shoot one, punch the bore...repeat for a bit, etc. I got serious with it; it took a few rounds, 5 or 6, to get the scope adjusted then this new Savage Mk II put them all in the little red dot in the middle at 25 yds. Then I shot my Marlin XT-22tr to compare...well, it's a toss-up as far as I am concerned. Both are very accurate little rimfires; the Savage, as I said earlier, is box-mag fed and the Marlin is tube-fed. I dunno, I like them both. The Savage has the nicer stock out of the box, but the Marlin will feed shorts too though. Just a thought for the future maybe. As far as the Savage Accu-Trigger compared to the Marlin Pro-Fire trigger...again; it's a toss up. I had pre-set both for a 3lb pull. I really can't tell the difference in the two. I shot both with Aquila Standard, Federal Auto match ( the worst groups for both), CCI Mini-Mags 40 gr and 38gr American Eagle. The CCI Standard Velocity produced the smallest groups, the Aquila Standard was pretty close though. All ammo ran fine, no malfunctions of any kind with either gun. The bolt action on the new Savage didn't take long to smooth out quite a bit. Got tired of shooting the .22 rifles and blasted hell out of the target with some good old 230 gr .45ACP ball through a couple 1911s. A fun day at the range! My Grandson is coming too visit in early June, I will take him to the range and whichever rifle he likes best will be dressed up, get new glass, and be his for his next birthday, (unbeknownst to him at this time). The cool thing to me is he likes shooting a bolt action rifle better then just blazing away with a semi-auto...that's makes old Pops feel good about the lad's future as a growing shooter.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I did with the wife's savage FV-SR bolt was to take some 800 grit wet dry sand paper and fount the sharp edges on the bolt face, very carefully. Yea I know bolt gap....precision.... Blah blah, it still shoots dimes at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity suppressed or not.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm always surprised by Savage rifles,,,
I really don't know why I have that impression though.

I think it comes from when I was a kid,,,
Our "wild bunch" of kids with .22's liked Remingtons and Winchesters.

The one kid who had a Savage was an absolute dweeb,,,
You should have heard how we ragged on the poor kid who had a Mossberg. :blush:

So in our small minds the Savage brand was far beneath us.

Two years back I had a small windfall of disposable cash come my way,,,
I wanted a loaner rifle to let newbies shoot at the range,,,
I picked up a Savage MK-II F at Walmart for $147.00.

I put an inexpensive Simmons scope on it,,,
With mounts, rings, and scope,,,
That was just over $50.00.

The only other thing I did was to order a single-shot adaptor from Lowey's in Australia.

Yes, the bolt was very stiff,,,
but I oiled it up and worked it through one DVD movie,,,
Just that small amount of use slicked it up well enough for me to be happy.

So for just over $225.00 I have a very nice little range/field rifle,,,
If yours is performing anywhere near as well as mine,,,
You should be very pleased with your rifle.

My only regret is that I didn't spend a bit more on a wood stock model,,,
But what the heck, the gun is exactly the same in spite of that.

Congrats on your purchase,,,
Like the old knight said,,,
"You chose wisely."

Aarond

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on what Savage has been doing with their .22 and .17 rifles, and they have some really impressive stuff now. They have really stepped up the quality on their rimfire rifles. I've pretty much decided that I want their new A17 auto-loader. I have heard them shot suppressed, and they are really quiet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom