New shoes for my S&W Model 49 from Grashorn Gunworks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A pair of Grashorn grips adorn my S&W Model 27. I had them to make it like the 'plainclothes' magna stocks for the K- and L-frame squarebutt. That way, I can curl my little finger under the bottom of the grip frame as I shoot. That makes it easier to control recoil.

About the only real problem is that they are a tad too thick. They're beautifully made, though.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are beautiful grips and the fit looks good.

Fit is probably as good as can be expected from a handmade set of grips that were fitted to another frame. Frame dims vary slightly from gun to gun so a perfect fit probably isn't realistic. I actually did some slight fitting to the right grip as it sat proud of the front of the grip frame on that side...just used a needle file to make it match the left grip and then repolished the area. I'm much more OCD about such things than most people so it wasn't worthy of noting. I was just thrilled that there was no gap between the grip horn and rear of the frame like you will sometimes see.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fit is probably as good as can be expected from a handmade set of grips that were fitted to another frame. Frame dims vary slightly from gun to gun so a perfect fit probably isn't realistic. I actually did some slight fitting to the right grip as it sat proud of the front of the grip frame on that side...just used a needle file to make it match the left grip and then repolished the area. I'm much more OCD about such things than most people so it wasn't worthy of noting. I was just thrilled that there was no gap between the grip horn and rear of the frame like you will sometimes see.

It’s surprising how those little details will make a difference when actually firing the gun though.

Claude Werner suggests painting the front sight blade orange with a base coat of white paint underneath. It makes picking up the front sight a bit easier and it’s not a permanent modification. https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/improving-your-snubs-sights/
He’s written quite a bit about carrying and shooting the snub nose reveolver and even has a couple of dvds on the topic. His website is https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The overhang on the right grip can be seen in the circled portion of the first photo. Second photo is after I reshaped the area. Pics aren't from the same angle, but you can get an idea of how much material was removed. The point of the overhang was sitting in the knuckle joint crease on my pinkie so it would not have been pleasant to shoot. I have long, skinny fingers so I think that most anyone else using a two finger grip would have been fine.

ZnELQkmh.jpg

FZOTIPSh.jpg

SENXRBih.jpg

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The overhang on the right grip can be seen in the circled portion of the first photo. Second photo is after I reshaped the area. Pics aren't from the same angle, but you can get an idea of how much material was removed. The point of the overhang was sitting in the knuckle joint crease on my pinkie so it would not have been pleasant to shoot. I have long, skinny fingers so I think that most anyone else using a two finger grip would have been fine.

ZnELQkmh.jpg

FZOTIPSh.jpg

SENXRBih.jpg
Like ronny says 'good work'. What, if I might be so bold as to ask, did you use to shape it with? I mean what tool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom