New Streaming Option For Cordcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you cord cutters using a DVR?

Quite honestly unless you want to DVR off of OTA I don't really see a need for one. I haven't totally cut the cord and still have Uverse but I have an Apple TV box and a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription. The cool thing about streaming is you can watch it anytime you want.

Edit: But I will admit that I use my DVR to pause constantly. I pause it, walk away for about 20 minutes and then I can skip right through all the commercials. The Uverse DVR has a FFW button that goes 15 seconds forward, it's handy as hell for getting through them all because they are in 15 second multiples.

Last edited:

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not getting great reception with my antennas looks like i'll need to run them up to the attic,
and yes it would be off OTA, work evenings ant there are a few things i'd like to catch. If I wait long enough they do come out on netflicks or amazon which I have

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a surprising amount of quality programming OTA that is broadcast at inconvenient times.

Looking at my DVR schedule right now I have these shows set to automatically record:

Outdoor Oklahoma, New episodes
Oklahoma News Report, New episodes
Mystery Science Theater 3000, All episodes
Forensic files, All episodes
Ask this old house, New episodes
Mexico one plate at a time, New episodes

Still have a lot of movies and one of a kind shows on the disk as well as some sports.
If we had an ice storm and internet was out I could watch TV for days off what is stored on the drive.

Once you get used to a DVR television seems almost uncivilized without it or VOD.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick review, I have been watching SlingTV on a Roku3 for about 2 weeks now. I have no real complaints. It does buffer every once in a while, but other than that most people would not know that you are not watching cable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a surprising amount of quality programming OTA that is broadcast at inconvenient times.

Looking at my DVR schedule right now I have these shows set to automatically record:

Outdoor Oklahoma, New episodes
Oklahoma News Report, New episodes
Mystery Science Theater 3000, All episodes
Forensic files, All episodes
Ask this old house, New episodes
Mexico one plate at a time, New episodes

Still have a lot of movies and one of a kind shows on the disk as well as some sports.
If we had an ice storm and internet was out I could watch TV for days off what is stored on the drive.

Once you get used to a DVR television seems almost uncivilized without it or VOD.

You don't watch Austin City limits? They have some killer concerts on there at times.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran across "REVtv" I think on OTA, it's car fix n repair type shows.

We got rid of cable about a month ago. I use a RCA ANT751R antenna and Roku streaming stick. Pretty happy so far and I do seem to get more stuff done now that I don't sit and channel surf as much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom