New Streaming Option For Cordcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handy Dandy features chart for Sling courtesy of PCWorld.

To help make sense of Sling TV's content offerings, I've put together some charts that show which channels let you pause and rewind live programming, how many days' worth of "Replay" programming you get, and which channels offer video on demand. The first chart covers the basic $20 bundle, followed by charts for each $5 "Extra" package and the $15 HBO option:

images.techhive.com_images_article_2015_04_slingtvbasic_100578917_large.png

images.techhive.com_images_article_2015_04_slingtvaddons_100578918_large.png

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Amazon Firestick that I loaded (it's easy to do) and i can virtually watch nearly anything worldwide if I want plus, I have a Flash Router with VPN so no one knows that I'm watching top movies. The only thing bad is that one has to wade through a jillion movies before one is found that you want to watch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DirecTV Now streaming service launches Monday.
Complete review here

http://gizmodo.com/is-directv-now-really-worth-it-1789463120

Thought I might get serious about looking at this service, but found this:

"AT&T has secured licenses for ABC, NBC, and Fox in owned-and-operated markets, which means places where the broadcast network owns the local affiliate station. So if you live in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, or New York City, you’re going to get your local channels.

But if you’re in a part of the country that doesn’t have an owned-and-operated station, you won’t be able to watch live TV on ABC, NBC, or Fox. Instead, DirecTV Now is offering video on-demand (VOD) access to programs the next day."
Why in hell would I in Oklahoma want to watch national news the next day?
We are direct TV customers already as well as AT&T.
We don't watch anything live. We record almost everything to play back later and blow through commercials. I don't see how one can record and play back with the new service.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We are looking at doing this very thing as well. One thing we want to be able to do is record shows at home, then load the DVR up in he RV and watch while we're at the lake. This would be on top of streaming services available.

I've managed to hack my S7 Edge to allow for wifi tethering. it works great with our samsung smart TV's while we are out and about. Having a grandfathered data plan makes this a sweet setup even though they gnash their teeth every time we pay the bill. no subsidized phones is about the worst they can do to us. Meh.. we always buy the phones outright anyway.

I'm wondering if the HDTV antennas shown in the first few pages of this thread would work well in an RV. the TV Antenna that come on our 5er is just plain terrible. (which sucks considering its a $54,000 fifth wheel - you'd think it would have decent electronics. Nope.)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't watch anything live. We record almost everything to play back later and blow through commercials. I don't see how one can record and play back with the new service.

I really miss being able to do this with the Uverse DVR. That was the coolest feature. You could even do it on live TV after pausing for a few minutes. They had a FFWD button on the remote that went in 15 second intervals that made short work of getting through commercials. Probably drove their advertisers mad...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The DirecTV Now streaming service will not have DVR functionality when it launches next week.
They claim DVR features will be added later.

When I looked at this yesterday they didn't even have the channel lineup finalized or the introductory pricing period nailed down. Cart before horse maybe? I wanted to say, "when you can tell me what I'm actually buying maybe I'll consider it".

Latest posts

Top Bottom