New to CC Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New to this forum. Thanks for sharing your information and opinions. My wife and I are waiting on our CC permits and looking for additional information. The CC class was just the tip of the iceberg at minimum, and we want to know everything we can to stay legal. We both are 63 years old and feel is a shame our environment has gotten to the point we need to carry to feel safe.

We are looking at everything we can, but would like to ask a question of how everyone else handles things. I was of the opinion that if we were to go to a business or restaurant that firearms were not welcome, or we decided to have a beer with a meal that we would need to leave our firearms in the car. In doing that, I would prefer to lock in the trunk rather than in the glove box behind the glass window that could easily be broken. (No locks on the glove box anymore). Also I read in detail of the Stillwater motorcycle rider who let his jacket blow in the wind and had a situation that was not good, we ride also, so the following transfer would also apply.

If we were doing several things around, trip into Tulsa, back to Claremore to visit Mom, head into Pryor to Wally World, and then decide to stop by Chilie’s for a burger and a beer, we would need to put our firearm in the trunk out of reach of the two beer drinker with a burger on his breath. Before entering the restaurant, when, where and how do we get our CC firearms from my pocket and her purse (or where ever she has it) to the locked trunk of my car? By the two previously mentioned threads, there is a gray area of Non-concealed flash from my pocket and her purse to the slamming of the car trunk that could be in question. Do we stop on the road somewhere to do this? Do we pull in the parking lot somewhere and do this? Somewhere our CC firearms are going to be a flash in public. I realize there are “standard practices” but where is the law here? Thanks for any advice you can give.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simply showing a firearm in public isn't a crime. Many of us meet in public places like Wal-Mart parking lots to do person-to-person sales. Brandishing is different than transferring a firearm to your trunk. Personally, I often put mine in my center console in similar situations, and I just unhook the holster and put it in. Sometimes it may be visible for a flash, but I don't worry too much about it.

One thing you can do is get a lockbox for your car. I got a portable lockbox for Christmas that has a steel cable I can wrap around a seat strut. A thief would have to come prepared with bolt cutters to break into my car and get my gun in that situation.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed with above, I hate transferring my gun from my console to my holster or vice versa. It always makes me wonder who has seen it. But, if you are going to drink with a firearm, not only do you need to lock it up, I would also unload it. I just dont take that chance with even having one drink and having the gun loaded. I also ride, and you have a good question there. I use an iwb holster and usually always wear a leather jacket. It wont blow open, but it can ride up. I have only ridden a few times with my gun. A shoulder rig would be great here, but then I cant take my jacket off. If you have a tank bag you can put it in there,or wear a jacket that is loose enough to pocket carry. Welcome to OSA.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and info. My concern was the transfer from my person loaded, then unloading, and then the transfer to the trunk in case I were somewhere where I was not going to enter a business with my firearm. This would have to happen in a parking lot where someone could see what was happening. Also case of BBQ, Pizza or Mexican food where I might have a beer it would be transferred, unloaded, and locked in the trunk for the ride home, but I would have to get it there initially. I drive multiple vehicles frequently, so a lock box would be a hassle to move back and forth.

Also I guess I am not understanding the difference between brandishing, an accidental showing while reaching for an item off a top shelf in Wal-Mart, and your parking lot example of trading firearms, although the parking lot example should be in an unloaded condition.

In addition while reading items on this forum I was also surprised that it seems that it is not technically legal for my wife and I to target practice in our own back yard of 10 acres out in the country with a suitable backstop. I have not been able to find a reference of how this is different than going to an outdoor shooting range to practice.

Looks like I have a ways to go to get this all down in a logical manner that will work naturally.

Thanks for your help. Ken

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that a beer just isn't worth having to be unarmed. Too much could happen from the car to the door, inside eating, and the door back to the car. I certainly don't want to have my firearm on my person and alcohol on my breath if I were to get pulled over. The gun buster signs don't carry any real weight anyway. If you are in such a place, if they find out you have a gun, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you do, no harm. If you don't, they call police and it's simple trespassing. I've ignored MANY of these signs. Concealed is concealed, right? As far as trasferring a firearm to the trunk, many people have a backpack of some sort. You unload your firearm,put it such pack, and then put it in the trunk. Just look around for people before you disarm. Good luck and welcome to OSA.

Last edited:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Also I guess I am not understanding the difference between brandishing, an accidental showing while reaching for an item off a top shelf in Wal-Mart, and your parking lot example of trading firearms, although the parking lot example should be in an unloaded condition.

The way I interpret it is, if I reach for something on a shelf or the wind blows my shirt up, that's accidental showing. If you are walking through a parking lot and someone comes up to you and says something you don't like and you lift your shirt up with the intent of showing your firearm (or removing it) with the threat of using it, that's brandishing.

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
p238shooter welcome from another okie. showing a firearm in public isn't a crime, but It is best in most cases for it not to be seen when transferring to the trunk. a trunk can be broken into easily. while still in the car, place the guns in a small paper sack or box. Then transfer this to the trunk. Still concealed and no one calls the police. You may wish to look into a lock box type container for in your trunk or under the seat in side your car.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unless the restraunt is posted no weapons at the door you can carry in that establishment. If there is a bar area and it is cordened off and posted no one under 21 abmitted, you cannot carry in that area. I would be careful consuming alcohol in a restraunt. You could be leaving yourself wide open to problems. I would recomment that you read the SDA handbook that is on the OK website. ask someone in law enforcement in your area as to their interpretation of the law. Asking someone here is not going to get you out of the dog house if you misread something said here or if someone on the forum does not know the law. I'm not saying that there are not people here well versed in this subject but how do you know???? Your miieage may vary.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I need to restate my original concern that I started this thread for some posters who think I do not understand the Alcohol component of my questions. I do not have any intention of having my firearm in my pocket while I might be having a beer or two with my Mexican Dinner full of jalapenos, or then replacing my firearm back on my person afterwords for my drive home. For me this is no different than considering that after consumption of only one 3.2% drink I would then drive to the airport and get in one of my planes and take off down the runway. This is the reason for my question, at some point after leaving the house I might need to make a transition from my concealed condition to a locked in the trunk condition. I used the previous scenario for an example. This is also no different than while out doing things where I might need to enter a prohibited government building or go shopping in a "no guns allowed" establishment where decide to honor their wishes. A transition still must occur. Sitting in our vehicle, me removing a pistol from my person, my wife removing her pistol from her person or purse, putting them in a covered bag, holder, etc., opening the trunk to lock them could at some point be inadvertently seen by a radical "non-gun" person. Coming out of the establishment, opening the trunk, transferring back onto my person, wife trying to transfer to her pocket, purse etc. leaves room for someone to accidentally see this and have a panic attack. Having a lock box inside my vehicle might reduce the exposure, but transferring the box to a different vehicle I might drive two or three times a day might not be feasible.

Also, is there any problem anywhere, including a prohibited building, to just remove the firearm and not the holster from my person, to enter the building, Post Office, no guns allowed establishment, etc.with my empty holster mounted? I would think this would be quicker and easier to make the transitions.

It seems there can be gray areas I would like to resolve as much as I can but there seems to be various opinions posted her and even between LEO's on some items. Our CC licenses are not here yet, we will be practicing our new attitudes with empty holsters for now.

Thanks for the information and various opinions. A combination of CC and Open carry might negate some of my concerns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom