New to hunting, what do yall do on public lands? Blind, set up a tree stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So new to hunting, just got my license and tag, wondering what you do on public lands. A well known okie hunter on the sportsman's channel said just find a good spot to sit and just wait in warm clothing wearing hunters orange.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
whatever piece of public land you decide to hunt, check the wildlife regulations for that area first. the reg's can be different for some. do some research as to what a rub and scrape look like. bucks check scrapes regularly. make sure you set up downwind of the chosen shooting area. deer's only defense is their eyes,noses and ears. make sure you gun and ammo is legal. no full metal jacket ammo.
starting in the middle of the season is going to be a little more difficult. at this point, i'd try to 'blend don't blind'. use natural cover or fallen trees to hide in.probably not a good idea to be walking around looking for scrapes and other sign right now. good luck

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hunted public land for many years and still do.
I never set up a tree stand or blind.
I use what is there like dlbleak stated I never cared which way the wind was blowing.
I have had deer come up on me in all directions.

If you want to cover your scent build a small leaf fire and walk in the smoke.
My friend smokes cigarettes and he has watched deer walk towards him with their noses in the air while smoking.

Do not get right on a trail get 15 yards off of it at least.
My spidy senses usually pick a good spot.
Be very still and quiet while waiting.. and like stated blend in.

If i get spotted by a deer i make squirrel chucking sounds.. This has worked every time.. the deer relaxes and goes about it's business instead of starring at me like a statue.

I do look for a nice overhanging comfy limb in a tree to sit in.
I take rope and or seatbelt strap i have cut from a vehicle.. I make a tree chair to sit in with that stuff.
I have done that from the age of 12.. I am 48 now and still do it.

Good luck to you.

ToeKNEE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What they said! Go scout it out and look for rubs and scrapes. Find some hardwoods and food sources. Make sure to cut into a few acorns to make sure they aren't dry or wormy. Hunting public can be tough due to a high volume of hunter foot traffic so I suggest going well off the "beaten path" where most other hunters sit. Try to find good bedding areas so you have an idea of where they may be coming from as well. Good luck to you! What WMA are you hunting?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your scouting via Google maps. Scoutlook offers aerial maps with a topographical overlay, which is very helpful in locating deer travel patterns and bedding. Keep what you pack in, light. No need for a ton of gear. A good knife and a shoulder drag system are about all you really need. If you have specific questions, let me know. All I hunt is public land.

ToeKNEE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your scouting via Google maps. Scoutlook offers aerial maps with a topographical overlay, which is very helpful in locating deer travel patterns and bedding. Keep what you pack in, light. No need for a ton of gear. A good knife and a shoulder drag system are about all you really need. If you have specific questions, let me know. All I hunt is public land.

OnX maps is the best! Have you used it?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OnX maps is the best! Have you used it?
I've used it once or twice. Should look at it again. Between scoutlook, Google Earth with topo overlay and Bing maps (to compare aerial layout as they scan at different times than Google) I generally have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I have been out twice now and havent seen anything besides some young deer that I choose not to take. Just needed some more tips and this is volumes more than I knew before!
Lol you're doing great, then! Actually seeing deer on public land can be difficult. Heck, I saw 2 in 6 hunts last week...

Latest posts

Top Bottom