New to hunting, what do yall do on public lands? Blind, set up a tree stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whatever piece of public land you decide to hunt, check the wildlife regulations for that area first. the reg's can be different for some. do some research as to what a rub and scrape look like. bucks check scrapes regularly. make sure you set up downwind of the chosen shooting area. deer's only defense is their eyes,noses and ears. make sure you gun and ammo is legal. no full metal jacket ammo.
starting in the middle of the season is going to be a little more difficult. at this point, i'd try to 'blend don't blind'. use natural cover or fallen trees to hide in.probably not a good idea to be walking around looking for scrapes and other sign right now. good luck

Pretty good stuff right here. An area close to me is archery and shotgun only. I hear of people missing that minor detail.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing beats getting out there and learning. If you know an experienced hunter ask him/her to take you along one day and ask lots of questions. If not, get out there! Every day outside is a learning lesson, even when you don't see a thing, spook a deer, or miss a deer. That's how you learn.

Sitting in a tree is a lot easier but you need an idea of what tree you want to sit in. Start by going out on foot and find signs of deer. Then find a tree that is within shooting distance. Sit in tree :). I would not make major changes to the trees at this point, like trimming or cutting big limbs.

Oh... and play the wind carefully, especially if you are on the ground.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some allow camping, but only on designated areas. Check the area special regulations.

We camped at Packsaddle a couple years ago which is about 3 hours away. My buddy and his wife threw their mattress in a small inclosed cargo trailer (5x12 or so). I setup my summer camping tent with an air mattress. His generator was messing up and we couldn't get it to run the space heaters so needless to say it was a very cold night for me. I slept in all my hunting clothes that night. As for hunting, I walked about a mile or so in and found a nice ridge to sit on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom