New to long distance shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFree87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's your actual budget you are willing to spend? "Not worried about price" is very different you are thinking $100 is reasonable for a lightweight 30-06 optic.

If you're serious about hunting, a large objective (50-56mm) for better light gathering and an illuminated reticle might be something high on your list of wants. You don't need/want a ton of magnification, a general rule of thumb is 1x for every 100 yards. In addition, the more elements you pack into a scope reduces the optical quality rapidly.

First and Second Focal Plane (FFP vs SFP) reticles are also something to consider. Some hunters don't like FFP because the reticle is too fine when compared to a SFP. The benefit of FFP is that the reticle subtensions are accurate at every power where SFP scopes it's only at a single power (generally max)

BDC reticles should be avoided like the plague.

At the budget end you could do something like Vortex DB Tactical line or Athlon Argos BTR. The Bushnell Match Pro is an excellent option around 500 and up from that you are into the Vortex Strike Eagle/Viper Gen 2s, Athlon Midas Tac and Helos BTR. Primary Arms has a plethora of good options and a lot of guys have taken to liking Riton, Arken and Swamp Fox though I don't have any time behind those.

If you're long range shooting more and hunting infrequently I would tend towards a scope more favorable to long range shooting than hunting. Something FFP, with exposed turrets, a good reticle and illumination if you want it. I can shoot a deer at a feeder with my 20lb 6GT match gun just fine.
This is some great helpful info. Like I say, I'm not new to shooting, I've just never had a reason for optics. Pistols at 20 yards isn't scope territory so this is all incredibly beneficial information. Thanks.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is usually a trade off between hunting and long range. Long range hunting is its own very expensive world. Hunting your usually looking for closer range and SFP and lighter since your carrying it. Long range shooting your not so worried with weight as magnification. There will be a noticeable difference in a $150 optic and a $500 optic in clarity. Don't forget your going to need rings and possibly a base. I would suggest calling Doug at Camera Land NY. Tell him your budget what your looking for. He will hook you up with a deal.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-06 is pretty bad ass and will kill something as far away as you have business shooting at it. 200yd is .223 range for whitetail.
The 30-06 is what I compare the rest to. I've taken many elk at ranges out to almost 600 yards with a Browning Stainless Stalker in New Mexico.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Riton makes some pretty good scopes especially the entry and mid-tier range, prices are VERY competitive. Their warranty is as good as Vortex, if it fails for any reason other than abuse you send it to them and they send you a new one. I can't speak to the upper end stuff you'd probably want for long range, but I would expect it to be competitive to the $1000 plus market.
I have a total of about 8 Ritons. 1-4x24, 4-12 and 6-24 ranging from the Mod1 to Mod5 series (nothing in the Mod 7). I would personally put them up against almost anything. I'm running them on a Ruger Precision in 6.5 as well as a 338 Lapua I have and they are spot on, and have never disappointed.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to any sort of long range shooting. I've shot and been around firearms my whole life, but generally shotguns and handguns. I have a Henry Golden Boy for rabbits and the like and then purchased an Axis II in 30-06, thanks again @AFVet . My intent is to start hunting as I want to be more self sufficient. Now I have the rifle to get the job done, but am fairly clueless with optics. Long story short, what are the main qualities I should be looking for in a scope? Because I'm so new to this side of shooting I only intend to try shots 150-200yds and under until I build some confidence.

You can find some deals here: Shop By Brand - EuroOptic.com
If you're a vet or LEO there are several places that offer discounts. Vortex offers 40% off MSRP and Busnell offers 40-50% off MSRP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom