New To Magnified Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've always used open sights or 1x red dot scopes but I'm thinking my old eyes might benefit from some magnification.

I've been thinking about getting a Leupold VX-1 2-7 powered scope for hog and deer hunting.

I would be using it on a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 for now but would probably move it to an AR build at some point.

I'm not looking to be shooting at game past 300 yards.

So what does an old phart need to know about mounting and using a powered scope?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Variable scopes are fine, but if you prefer to go with a fixed power (for whatever reason), I'd recommend 4x.

+1 on proper (meaning plenty of) eye-relief for you when holding the weapon.

Just my 2¢ ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a Leupold VX-1 2-7 powered scope for hog and deer hunting.
When you say powered scope, are you talking a lighted reticle? I have a German built variable scope with a lighted reticle. Too lazy to go to the shop and see what the brand is, but in low light, it's awesome! Selectable between red and green.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to Locktite your scope bases, be sure and use either Guntite or Blue Locktite which allows normal disassembly with standard hand tools. Red Locktite is a more permanent(it is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)).

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
When you say powered scope, are you talking a lighted reticle? I have a German built variable scope with a lighted reticle. Too lazy to go to the shop and see what the brand is, but in low light, it's awesome! Selectable between red and green.
No not the lighted reticle version. I can't afford that. They have one version that is basically a magnified red dot from what I can tell but that's out of my price range.

I have a cheap 6-24 x 50mm scope with the lighted reticle that is way too much scope for what I need.

I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred on this scope.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a good scope for 30-30 you will be happy with minimal magnification like you stated.
I hate to say it but I like the 3-9 Tasco scopes when I do not need much power.
I have them on 50 cal muzzleloaders and on my 30-30 and .243.. None of them have failed me and all hold zero.
I just recently got a 3-9x40 Tasco Bucksight it has a Ballistic reticle and the glass is as clear and bright as My Nikon Buckmaster which I sold.

Sad thing is the Older Centerpoint 4-16x40 was just as clear as the Buckmaster and Low light the Centerpoint was a tiny bit better.
The Centerpoint sits on my 30-06 and has for 8 years..Never lost Zero ..many hundreds of rounds fired through it.

I would give the Tasco bucksight a try at 39 bucks from walmart.. If you do not like it take it back,,I feel you will like it though.

I have looked through VX1 and VX2 at the range and would not impressed at all.
One gent had a VX3 and could not see his holes at 100 yards at Banner range..I let him look through my Centerpoint and he asked what scope it was and said he loved it image was crystal clear....I told him he did not want to know.

The newer Centerpoints are not as good as the old one..Too much ghosting and eye position is critical.
I got one and took it back and got a Tasco 6-24 target varmit..It is better.. but 6 power for a low is too high .

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
For a good scope for 30-30 you will be happy with minimal magnification like you stated.
I hate to say it but I like the 3-9 Tasco scopes when I do not need much power.
I have them on 50 cal muzzleloaders and on my 30-30 and .243.. None of them have failed me and all hold zero.
I just recently got a 3-9x40 Tasco Bucksight it has a Ballistic reticle and the glass is as clear and bright as My Nikon Buckmaster which I sold.

Sad thing is the Older Centerpoint 4-16x40 was just as clear as the Buckmaster and Low light the Centerpoint was a tiny bit better.
The Centerpoint sits on my 30-06 and has for 8 years..Never lost Zero ..many hundreds of rounds fired through it.

I would give the Tasco bucksight a try at 39 bucks from walmart.. If you do not like it take it back,,I feel you will like it though.

I have looked through VX1 and VX2 at the range and would not impressed at all.
One gent had a VX3 and could not see his holes at 100 yards at Banner range..I let him look through my Centerpoint and he asked what scope it was and said he loved it image was crystal clear....I told him he did not want to know.

The newer Centerpoints are not as good as the old one..Too much ghosting and eye position is critical.
I got one and took it back and got a Tasco 6-24 target varmit..It is better.. but 6 power for a low is too high .
I found the Bucksight at my local WM. After your review I'm tempted to try it. :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thing is if ya do not like it take it right back.. I have a feeling you may like it.
Reminds me I need to mount mine on my ar if I can

Latest posts

Top Bottom