New (to me) Colt's Combat Commander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked it up this morning, and ran around 100 rounds through it this afternoon. I was nervous about using Gunbroker, but it was relatively painless and the pistol has exceeded expectations so far. I had planned on getting a DW A2 Commander, and I still may, but I'm glad I went with the Colt.

As the picture shows, it has had some work done. A Greider Precision match trigger and EB sear spring have been installed, as well as aftermarket sights. The previous owner said the grip panels were by Esmerelda.

At the range I only had the one CMC Shooting Star mag that it came with, which slowed things down a bit. After 100 rounds, I decided two things: I love the pistol and I hate the grip safety. I experienced zero malfunctions of any kind, and it's very easy to shoot. The only fly in the ointment was the grip safety. I'd never shot a 1911 without a beavertail GS, and didn't realize the difference it makes.

Any recommendations on a grip safety? I was going to go with the WC Concealment, but I won't mess with the frame to do it. I want as small a beavertail as possible that will still protect the webbing of my hand. I'd also like to keep the stock hammer.

I have 4 Wilson 47D magazines headed my way, and a few thousand rounds in the safe. Next up is some nice leather.

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. If you don’t want to have to mess with the frame, you will probably have to go with the Wilson Drop in piece. It’s a nice piece though and you can get it for $35-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. If you don’t want to have to mess with the frame, you will probably have to go with the Wilson Drop in piece. It’s a nice piece though and you can get it for $35-40.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just ordered one.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. It has just enough wear that I won't feel bad carrying it, but not so much that it looks bad.

I noticed that the trigger, while crisp, seemed a bit heavy. This evening I checked and it averaged about 6#. I know that the sear spring has been replaced, so I may tweak it a bit when replacing the grip safety. I'd like to end up with a pull of around 4#, but no lighter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom