New to Me Muzzleloader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started hunting with a muzzleloader about 20 years ago when I started deer hunting in OK, but I have only used inlines. Over the last year, I’ve developed an interest in traditional muzzleloaders, and I acquired a Hawken 50 cal. I started reading on another board about small caliber muzzleloaders, so I started investigating them. Their production is relatively rare now, but there used to be several options. I started searching the internet for one and thought I had a deal made on a custom 32 cal Green Mountain barrel for my Hawken, but the seller is still kicking the can down the road and won’t give me a price. I still may end up with the barrel, but in the mean time, I found a CVA “Squirrel” 32 cal rifle on Gunbroker and bought it. I finally picked it up this morning, and I think this may end up being one of my most shot rifles. I’ve only taken two shots with it so far, but I was able to hit my steel plate at 50 yards offhand with my first two tries. I’ve got some more load testing to do, but now, I’m anxious to try to kill a squirrel or rabbit with it.

The first load I tried was 11 grain of Pyrodex RS and a .310 patched round ball.
This gun is in as close to 100% condition as I could expect from a 25 year old rifle.
AE3E35A7-E414-4AD0-B52B-6BC4C313B498.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a nice rifle there I think your onto something about going back to the old rifles the thing I didn’t like about them was shooting them left handed and that nipple aimed at my forehead lol
I don’t have any #11 cap but have A BUNCH of 209 primers, so I converted the ignition on my Hawken and this rifle to use 209’s. That being said, with the MagSpark, there shouldn’t be any way to have any blowback in your face.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have any #11 cap but have A BUNCH of 209 primers, so I converted the ignition on my Hawken and this rifle to use 209’s. That being said, with the MagSpark, there shouldn’t be any way to have any blowback in your face.
you can buy a kit to make your own percussion caps.
https://22lrreloader.com/shipping is slow and they won't answer email but I got my order.

Latest posts

Top Bottom