New to me S&W Model 64-6 and range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sold some of my more pristine handguns to get down to just a few good condition shooters that I will use as house, garage, carry and carry/conceal, and travel guns.

I had looked for a stainless 4" but most of them were more than what I, as a bargain...ok, cheap..., shopper and buyer wanted to pay. I have seen quite a few LE trade-ins on the on-line sites and finally saw a 64-5 Double Action Only (DAO) with pictures in my price range ($400) and hoped-for condition.

After exchanging a few emails with the seller (friendly, helpful, and absolutely wonderful people to work with!) following his last reply I immediately went to do the the Buy Now thing and it was sold. The seller contacted me and said he felt bad that happened and offered to sell me a nice one that he would pick out and hold for me pending my payment and FFL information if I wanted one. I did, he did, and yesterday I picked it up at my LGS. I never saw pics of what he was sending, but I told him I trusted him to do a good job for me so this was a surprise unwrapping for me.

The LGS fellow gave me the box so I could look at the gun. I was initially a bit concerned about an area at the forcing cone end of the bore that looked to have buildup almost like tiny balls of something in it. There were a few scratches and marks on the outside of the gun, but those were definitely expected and revealed so I had no issue with them.

I also noticed it was a 64-6 DAO, not the 64-5 that the previous one I had looked at was. I know there has been discussion about the change to an MIM hammer in 1998 on that dash change, but that didn't mean anything negative to me for my purposes or understanding. A quick check of things showed it to be acceptable mechanically so I signed the transfer, paid the man, and I brought it home.

Mechanically, I checked stuff more closely and everything checked out just fine. Cylinder was tight yet opened easily, no yoke play, trigger was smooth, etc. After the mechanical check I sprayed it down with Ballistol before doing a thorough cleaning of the barrel, cylinder, and external portions of the gun. Whatever those little balls were cleaned right away, leaving the bore and chambers clean and shiny. It cleaned up nicely, so all that remained was to shoot it.

I took it out yesterday evening and this morning to the outdoor gun range. It is a really great feeling shooter. Very comfortable with the rubber grips and accurate from all points out to the 45' distance that was available. I think it will be just right for its intended use. I don't have to worry about that first scratch and it should be a solid performer for many years to come.

Thanks for reading and looking!

64-6 LS.jpg
View attachment 60711 View attachment 60712
64-6 RS.jpg
View attachment 60714

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's rude at ALL to post the price. I for one am glad to know, since I am in the market myself, but for a heavier caliber. I don't want a .38. But it annoys me that people think it's some kind of secret what they paid for something. lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should be forced to disclose that, but I don't understand it at all. I really REALLY hate seeing prices edited out of For Sale ads when an item is sold. I use those kinds of things to do research on current market value, and I find it annoying not to be able to figure out what a decent price is. One of the forums I frequent specifically forbids editing a price for that specific reason. Well, they make you do a strikethrough on pricechanges and I think that is a phenomenal idea. So people can see the pricedrop history, I think it really helps in a niche used market like this.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for posting, sounds like an overall pretty good experience! ;)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Frank, nice catch! I love me some wheelguns.

I don't think it's rude at ALL to post the price. I for one am glad to know, since I am in the market myself, but for a heavier caliber. I don't want a .38. But it annoys me that people think it's some kind of secret what they paid for something. lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should be forced to disclose that, but I don't understand it at all. I really REALLY hate seeing prices edited out of For Sale ads when an item is sold. I use those kinds of things to do research on current market value, and I find it annoying not to be able to figure out what a decent price is. One of the forums I frequent specifically forbids editing a price for that specific reason. Well, they make you do a strikethrough on pricechanges and I think that is a phenomenal idea. So people can see the pricedrop history, I think it really helps in a niche used market like this.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for posting, sounds like an overall pretty good experience! ;)

I want to infinite-like your post.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had two just like that. I loved them both, but had to sell them both. I plan to pick up another if the opportunity arises when I have funds. They are great shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom