New to OK, quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwol

New to the site!
Reaction score
I recently moved to Oklahoma a few weeks back and I am wanting to buy a new rifle. I have not been able to get an OK drivers license yet due to a pretty hectic work schedule. I still have my CA drivers license, so would that be a problem when purchasing a rifle? Is an OK drivers license required for rifle purchases? If there's anyone out there who knows for sure, please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
First welcome aboard!! Pretty sure you have to have an Oklahoma license to buy a rifle, but someone will be along shortly that knows for a fact.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its funny as this question comes up a lot. Unfortunately I can never remember since it doesn't really apply to me. Handguns definite no.

Welcome to OK

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you would need a OK dl and the address on both the DL and the address you put on background forms need to match or have at least 2 forms of id with your current address on it such as your utility bills or bank statement. Now with that said i dont know if you could get by with having a Cali DL and a physical mailing address in Cali if you could get by with that. Best thing to do is go by and ask the FFL holder you are having the gun transfer thru and he could give you the 100% accurate info.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do NOT want issues with a gun purchase.

Yes you will need a valid DL (if you've lived here more than 30 days, you're already in violation), and you will also have to pass a background check.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need OK ID. Need physical address and don't you have to be resident for a period of time? Not sure about that.
Regardless, welcome to the most gun friendly state in the Union and OSA

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am NOT an attorney, but I found this.

▼ Title 21 - Crimes And Punishments
§ 21-1288 - Purchases Of Firearms, Ammunition And Equipment From Dealer Licensed In Another State - Purchases In Oklahoma By Residents Of Other States.
A. Residents of the State of Oklahoma may purchase rifles, shotguns, ammunition, cartridge and shotgun shell handloading components and equipment from a dealer licensed in a state other than Oklahoma. This authorization is enacted in conformance with the provisions of Section 922(b)(3) of Title 18 of the United States Code and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the State of Oklahoma and the state in which the purchase is made.

B. Residents of a state other than Oklahoma may purchase rifles, shotguns, ammunition, cartridge and shotgun shell handloading components and equipment from a dealer licensed in the State of Oklahoma. This authorization is enacted in conformance with the provisions of Section 922(b)(3) of Title 18 of the United States Code and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the State of Oklahoma and in the state in which such persons reside.

Added by Laws 1969, c. 230, § 1, emerg. eff. April 21, 1969. Amended by Laws 2009, c. 66, § 1, emerg. eff. April 20, 2009.

Latest posts

Top Bottom