New to reloading - Need help and advice - PLEASE and Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with an old Speer manual along with a book from Bob Hagel (Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter). Eventually read Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and some of a couple others. IF there is anything you do first is read a reputable reloading manual front to back (most parts more than once).

TDoug

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I started with the Square Deal B because I planned to load only handgun rounds. I've loaded well over 100k rounds and been very happy. I could use it as a single stage if I wanted to perform each step one at a time, but haven't seen the need. If I had planned to reload for rifle too, I would have chosen, and would now, either the RL550 or RL750.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add..the square deal is a great starter press. One caution if you do wind up getting it I believe it uses proprietary die sets...meaning only Dillon makes them. Shouldn't be a big thing as I always use Dillon dies anyway but I think Dillon is backordered right now on dies.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add..the square deal is a great starter press. One caution if you do wind up getting it I believe it uses proprietary die sets...meaning only Dillon makes them. Shouldn't be a big thing as I always use Dillon dies anyway but I think Dillon is backordered right now on dies.
That is where a SDB gets expensive. Die sets are special to it and cost $99 each and Tool head assembly is another $37 and all the dies sets are out of stock. If you plan to do more than 2 calibers a SDB really isn't your best bet when you look at the economics. Unless you plan to own multiple SDB and money is of no concern. Again then you start getting into the money where you can buy case feeders and bullet feeders and so on.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea of the SDB, however the proprietary dies and such are scaring me away. Especially right now with the scarcity of things... If I can find a deal on a used RCBS or maybe even the right deal on a LEE setup, I think that is the way I will go. Especially since 9mm will be the main focus for the foreseeable future.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my dies and presses I use are Lee except the one die set I have that is Hornady 6.5 CM
Only because no Lee in stock.
I have no issues with Lee turret or single stage presses.
Lee classic Cast is a really good press.
If you get lee pistol dies the 4 die set is the way to go.
It has the carbide crimp die.
I do NOT crimp many of the pistol rounds I just run them through the Carbide crimp die to iron out the crimps.
EDIT: I said iron out the crimps I meant Iron out the flare.

If you were closer to Yukon I would say come over for a reloading session.
That hands on with another Handloader is the way to go.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed that you are in Tulsa. I am outside of Wagoner, not far from you. My shop is open to new loaders who would like to take a look at how it works. I don't claim to be the best loader in the world, but I'm happy to help out.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed that you are in Tulsa. I am outside of Wagoner, not far from you. My shop is open to new loaders who would like to take a look at how it works. I don't claim to be the best loader in the world, but I'm happy to help out.
Thank you for the offer, after the first of the year I may take you up on that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom