New to Reloading opinions advice w/e

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its an indoor range and I have no idea the reason. Perhaps the lead contamination of sweeping it up?

Their ammo rules are below.

Full cast lead, snake/bird shot, armor piercing, and tracer ammunition is strictly prohibited. This includes all steel jacketed, steel bullet or steel core rounds. These rounds can severly damage the backstop and are a fire hazzard. Anyone caught violating this rule will be banned from the range and his or her membership revoked. All ammunition (except rim fire 22)must have at least a partial metal jacket, full metal jacket, or jacketed hollow point. TFTA employees are required to inspect all outside ammunition.

I had thought about one of the other clubs for sure. Eventually I would like to have some different arms to shoot aside from my pistols and the 22. Definately a consideration when evaluating what I can afford to spend on shooting next year.

With respect to lead cast bullets what would be the con of them? More barrel cleaning? I do a pretty thorough cleaning after each range session anyhow.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its an indoor range and I have no idea the reason. Perhaps the lead contamination of sweeping it up?

Their ammo rules are below.

Full cast lead, snake/bird shot, armor piercing, and tracer ammunition is strictly prohibited. This includes all steel jacketed, steel bullet or steel core rounds. These rounds can severly damage the backstop and are a fire hazzard. Anyone caught violating this rule will be banned from the range and his or her membership revoked. All ammunition (except rim fire 22)must have at least a partial metal jacket, full metal jacket, or jacketed hollow point. TFTA employees are required to inspect all outside ammunition.

I had thought about one of the other clubs for sure. Eventually I would like to have some different arms to shoot aside from my pistols and the 22. Definately a consideration when evaluating what I can afford to spend on shooting next year.

With respect to lead cast bullets what would be the con of them? More barrel cleaning? I do a pretty thorough cleaning after each range session anyhow.

If it's an indoor range, I can understand it a bit more. Lead bullets produce more smoke than jacketed bullets and they have to have sufficient ventilation to the outside.

With regards to cleaning, if you load you bullets to lower velocities, you will have less leading in the barrel. I try to cast my bullets as hard as I can to avoid as much leading as possible. You will still have smoke due to the lube burning off.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've read, there aren't many con's for handgun cast, but when you get to high power rifles you start to see leading at high velocities even with a high bhn. I've read rumors about the lube screwing with the gas systems of some rifles (ar 15 and the like that aren't piston driven) due to it blowing back on the bolt carrier group thru the gas tube. Again, rumors, because some folks report shooting thousands of cast bullets out of an AR without so much as a hiccup to velocities shy of 2k fps... I'm no expert on this stuff, I've just gotten into casting and for me its not just the economics, its another hobby to keep me off of the couch.

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the reason?

I believe it's because of the air filtration. Using plain lead will foul it quicker thus costing more to maintain it. I've vowed never to buy a membership there again after all the CS issues. However, I must admit that I will OCCASIONALLY go with somebody that has a membership, but I bring my own ammo.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot lead bullets in anything but 22's. I don't see why this isn't a good idea, what are the cons? More cleaning, not as accurate?

Actually, lead bullets can be extremely accurate. My most accurate handload is a 148gr .358 Lee tumble lube wadcutter shot unsized with ALOX lube over 3 gr of 231 in .38 Special..

There is a little more to using cast bullets, but if you start with a smooth, CLEAN bore (no copper fouling) and use an appropriate powder, they work quite well. A good lube is essential. Always clean when switching between jacketed and lead bullets.

As to leading, there are two very different concerns about hardness/velocity/pressure. 1. Too soft and too hot will smear lead all down the barrel. 2. Too HARD and too little pressure will allow gas to undercut the bullet (which will not obturate) and melt lead onto the barrel.

With moderate loads of medium powders in handguns, ordinary wheelweight lead is good enough. If you buy lead bullets from a commercial caster, ask them for their recommended loads; they are usually glad to help.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've shot plain based bullets cast from air cooled wheel weights out of my Marlin 1894C .357 mag to over 1700 fps with no leading, accuracy sucked but no leading, still working on that load.
I've pushed a gas checked bullet cast from air cooled heel weights to a little over 2100 fps out of my Marlin 336 .30-30 making a one ragged hole group at 50 yards. Alloy, bullet size, lubrication and load all play a part in getting good results with cast bullets. Shooting cast bullets is almost a hobby unto itself.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice thread. I'm going to have to look at reloading to shoot my .45 as much as I want. Are there any reloading classes available? What is recommended as "must read" for reloading?

Latest posts

Top Bottom