New to sbrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I think I want to dip into this world. I am wondering if it would be OK to build a pistol with a 12" barrel and pistol buffer tube, and then I submit forms and when it gets approved put a stock on it?

While I'm at it would a 12" 5.56 or 300 black out be the better choice?

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what's lot of guys do. Just make sure you build from a lower that's only ever been a lower. If it started life and was transferred as a long gun you need to do the paperwork first, then do your SBR build.

Can't help on the caliber question.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When doing a Form-1, they want you to be specific with the caliber on the form. You can always have another upper with a different caliber and switch back and forth whenever you want. The only restriction is that the caliber change is "temporary" and it can be returned to the caliber listed on the form.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's good info on the caliber change, my main idea of getting away from the 5.56 is I already have one in that caliber so why not branch into something else.

On the lines of swapping if you have a sbr can you throw a upper with a 16" barrel on it as a temporary thing?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you just have to be able to readily convert it to the caliber and barrel length its registered as. As for caliber and barrel length, 11.5-12.5" is the best way to go on 5.56, but you can easily do 8-9" on a .300blk and still have an effective setup.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want and plan are totally different things right now haha so far my plan is to build the lower and let it sit, I have been helping a buddy put a rifle together and got an itch to start another project but I have no direction.

Why the 10.5 over 12?

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you just have to be able to readily convert it to the caliber and barrel length its registered as. As for caliber and barrel length, 11.5-12.5" is the best way to go on 5.56, but you can easily do 8-9" on a .300blk and still have an effective setup.

Ok my thought process and wishful thinking would be have a 16"+ upper for each sbr lower or each caliber.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If ammo commonality isn't an issue for you, 6.8 spcII gives the best ballistic results in 16-18" uppers, whereas 300 blk is great in the short barrels. They can both be made to perform in either role, but work best in their respective original configuration.

I went with a 16" 6.8, a pinned 14.5" 5.56 and will eventually build an 8-9" .300 blk with a Silencerco Omega type can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom