New to the SBR game

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donokc

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guy, Just recently i'm having some SBR fever, but after reading up on the information i'm having the real fever. Im currently have an AR15 so here are my questions:

1) Can I build a SBR upper and put it on my existing lower?

2) If I can, do i start the paper work before or after the build?

3) Do I call the ATF for the paper work package or where do i get it from?

4) Does the engraving have to be on the lower receiver or can it be on the upper as well?

I know it is a lot of question but i also know that i have a very knowledgeable member in this forum. How else would you learn something if you don't ask the question, right? Thank you for all your help guys.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. START PAPERWORK FIRST!!!!
3. ATF FORM 1( Better get a second opinion on this), I think you can go to the ATF website and find this form. http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/
4. Lower reciever is the registered part, so engrave on the lower.

Know this, once you obtain a federal tax stamp THERE IS NO GOING BACK! You will be infected by the NFA bug!!!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. START PAPERWORK FIRST!!!!
3. ATF FORM 1( Better get a second opinion on this), I think you can go to the ATF website and find this form. http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/
4. Lower reciever is the registered part, so engrave on the lower.

Know this, once you obtain a federal tax stamp THERE IS NO GOING BACK! You will be infected by the NFA bug!!!

#2) Do paperwork and only build AFTER you receive approved forms

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks indi, is there any other form beside form1?

I think the form 1 is all you have to do, only if you are building an SBR. If you go and buy an already built and registered SBR you would do a form 4. Are you doing it through a trust or are you doing it to your name? Im sure you will have to submit fingerprints if you put it under your name and get the sheriffs signature. I think its just like getting/building silencer.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so what is a "trust" and what is the pros and cons to have one? how do i set one up? thanks

A trust is a TRUST, i dont know how to explain what it is. Kind of like a will i guess.

Some of the benefits to a trust are
1. You do not need to do fingerprints
2. You do not need the sheriff or leo signature
3. Multiple people can be users of the NFA item. (If you do it in your name, you have to be present with the NFA item, with the stamp)

You can get a lawyer to write up a trust for you. There are some programs that you can use to write a trust( i dont recomened this unless you are a lawyer, or VERY knowledgable with what needs to be written. There are a lot of places who sell NFA items who will set you up with a trust if you purchase your NFA item from them( like sports world)
The trust will own your NFA item, not you, but you are the trustee of the trust so you call the shots on it. I dont want to say to much, cause i dont know that much, there are other members who are a lot more knowledgable about this subject then I, hopefully they will better explain it.

donokc

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks indi, and i hope other will further educate me on this issue, i would like to know more about how much it would cost on the attorney fee and who is the good one to talk to. Thank you all.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lower receiver isn't always the one engraved. You engrave the one that has the serial number on it from the factory. I had to engrave my upper receiver on my Sig 556 .

Latest posts

Top Bottom