New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my sons is POed about it. He just bought a house and some property near there. He says the whole neighborhood is upset (being nice here) about it.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live near the first part. I'm not even mad it's there. I can cut my time to Tulsa by about half an hour. With the extension, I'll be able to get to Norman more quickly too. I understand some people being upset, but it's not that bad. Housing values did drop initially, but now are higher than pre turnpike. Most of the stories I've heard about property acquisition indicate OTA pays fair market value for land. The issue has been the folks that think their 3 acres is worth more than market value.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A representative for ODOT will attend Norman's Ward 5 town hall next week to answers residents' questions.
The town hall will be at 7 p.m. March 3 at Cross Pointe Church at 2601 24th Avenue SE.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live near the first part. I'm not even mad it's there. I can cut my time to Tulsa by about half an hour. With the extension, I'll be able to get to Norman more quickly too. I understand some people being upset, but it's not that bad. Housing values did drop initially, but now are higher than pre turnpike. Most of the stories I've heard about property acquisition indicate OTA pays fair market value for land. The issue has been the folks that think their 3 acres is worth more than market value.
That new extension going from stroud or wherever down to Harrah was paved right through my old back yard. My parents got double what the property was worth. Sadly, the neighbors across the street now have a turnpike on top of them.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still remember looking out the backyard of my great uncle's farm near Ponca City at the new overpass and highway that cut through his pasture. He was paid $1000/acre (big money for pasture in the early 70's) but it cut his property in two pieces and made farming much more difficult and less profitable.

When I drive down the Cimarron or Indian Nation Turnpikes and see how far the fences are from the roadway, I wonder how many millions of acres were taken decades too early.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late 90s New Hwy 3 cuts old hwy 3 south of Stonewall.
Cut family property east side.
Is what it is.
Background traffic noise is the constant reminder when "out in the woods" camp fish recreate peace n quiet.
Oh but all the vehicles will be electric soon! Tire noise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom