New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at that map, this is a State problem, not local. If you live in those zones, you might be next. The two extensions going though Cleveland County are taking out over 600 homes, OTA simply calls these "rooftops", this is over 15 homes per mile City of Norman has restricted development for over 50 years in the area solely to protect the watershed of Lake T-bird, OTA found this sparsely populated land as an opportunity to build another perpetual toll road. T-bird before had been classified as a sensitive lake and for the last several years has been classified as impaired, meaning it is getting too much pollution from runoff, these pikes will only cause more pollutants and runoff. It goes right over the top of a very narrow rose rock vein, these rocks are found nowhere else in OK, or the World.

Keep in mind most turnpikes are not profitable and most have not come close to delivering the traffic expectations they predict in order to sell the project. Are these pay to use spurs really needed just to save a few minutes? I'll drop a couple links below that have some more information on opposition for these proposals and the OTA. I know some of you don't do FB, but it's a great platform to gather people and share information as a group. The other link is tied to the FB group but is a website anyone can look at.
Keep in mind, this is a much larger problem than a local area, town or county. Any reasonable person who thinks about what is going on now, in the future or the past should be furious.

FB group "NO MORE TURNPIKES"
PIKEOFF.COM

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did this come from? I'd like to see a zoomable version and see a legend for it.
I don't know who made the map graphic, it's the only pic I have of it. It's definitely not published by OTA, but these areas were pulled directly from the OK Statutes-Title 69 (§69-1705.) here. Click link and goto near the bottom of page 261 and you will see the item numbers and descriptions

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know who made the map graphic, it's the only pic I have of it. It's definitely not published by OTA, but these areas were pulled directly from the OK Statutes-Title 69 (§69-1705.) here. Click link and goto near the bottom of page 261 and you will see the item numbers and descriptions
Yea I figured it wouldn't be from OTA and did go check on it and sure enough, nothing like it to be found. I wasn't throwing shade on your post, I'm genuinely interested in those from east of Edmond to Guthrie and the great big one up by Grand Lake and points south of there.

I'll check out the info. Thanks.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at that map, this is a State problem, not local. If you live in those zones, you might be next. The two extensions going though Cleveland County are taking out over 600 homes, OTA simply calls these "rooftops", this is over 15 homes per mile City of Norman has restricted development for over 50 years in the area solely to protect the watershed of Lake T-bird, OTA found this sparsely populated land as an opportunity to build another perpetual toll road. T-bird before had been classified as a sensitive lake and for the last several years has been classified as impaired, meaning it is getting too much pollution from runoff, these pikes will only cause more pollutants and runoff. It goes right over the top of a very narrow rose rock vein, these rocks are found nowhere else in OK, or the World.

Keep in mind most turnpikes are not profitable and most have not come close to delivering the traffic expectations they predict in order to sell the project. Are these pay to use spurs really needed just to save a few minutes? I'll drop a couple links below that have some more information on opposition for these proposals and the OTA. I know some of you don't do FB, but it's a great platform to gather people and share information as a group. The other link is tied to the FB group but is a website anyone can look at.
Keep in mind, this is a much larger problem than a local area, town or county. Any reasonable person who thinks about what is going on now, in the future or the past should be furious.

FB group "NO MORE TURNPIKES"
PIKEOFF.COM
For a group worried about pollution in their watershed, I don't see any of them rallying to end motorized boats on the lake. And Rose rocks are barite or such. It's found in other places, not only in the US, but in the world.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a group worried about pollution in their watershed, I don't see any of them rallying to end motorized boats on the lake.
How much they’re trying to protect the watershed vs. how much they’re using that as an excuse to maximize tax revenues is debatable, but for decades the overt excuse has been that they’re trying to protect the watershed for Norman’s main drinking water supply. (It’s split between Dirtybird and the aquifer, but, IIRC, the lake provides the majority of Norman’s water.)

I wonder what the environmental studies are going to show. A lot of the exposed sandstone around the proposed route through Norman is actually part of the Garber-Wellington aquifer...

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a group worried about pollution in their watershed, I don't see any of them rallying to end motorized boats on the lake. And Rose rocks are barite or such. It's found in other places, not only in the US, but in the world.
The last few comments you made in this thread makes it sound like you work for the OTA.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last few comments you made in this thread makes it sound like you work for the OTA.
No, I don't work for or support OTA in any way shape or form. But facts are facts. Misinformation is the worst part of the whole situation right now. Pulling at heartstrings by saying there's only one when it in fact exists in other places is just wrong and makes people angry over issues that are moot. And I've read a lot of the comments from the groups, but none seem to be pursuing a prime offender of making their drinking water undrinkable. Make the lakes non motorized if that's truly a concern, but don't bring it up and then take jet skis out on it. That makes them as believable as they claim the OTA is. I feel the bigger issue here is people want progress but not in their back yards. Can't have it both ways. It always goes in someone's back yard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom