New Walther ppk/s first edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak12161

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on one of the walther ppks made in fort Smith. Been looking for a while now and lucked out.
I haven't gotten to shoot the thing yet but here's the difference I've noticed from my sw ppk vs Walther ppks

Pros:
Quality and feel of matierals used is superior to that of the sw models. The metal machining feels so good just holding the gun and every inch of the gun feels sturdy. Even the safety/decocker sounds and feels sturdier than my sw model.

1 piece feed ramp, love that they brought it over from the sw iteration. Looks much cleaner on the Walther version.

The finish they used on the gun is deceptive. In pictures you wouldn't be able to tell the sw and the Walther version apart minus a few differences. But the finish is different. The Walther Version is not as shiny? As the sw. I'm not bothered by it but seeing the two guns I could immediately tell.

The small things. The small things on the gun like no "under license of" or a nasty sw laser engraving just makes the gun look that much prettier. He'll the way Walther engraved the guns markings on the sides are impressive. The sw had a slight sand paper feel to it rubbing your hands down the slide. The Walther is engraved so as you rub your hand down the slide it feels good and non intrusive. Everything from the trigger to the mags feel good. My favorite part of the gun is the way small things make a huge difference. Such as when I go to put the gun up and unchamber the loaded round. My sw model would very much not pop the round out but instead slowly let the round fall out of the chamber. Annoying but a problem i had on multiple sw ppk's, never effected reliability or function... Just a small annoyance yet on the Walther Version you rack and Bam the rounds fly out the chamber.

Cons:
Pains me to say this but I sat down and thought long and hard about bad things about this gun.. I honestly only had one complaint. I wish beaver tail was less pronounced. Now this is just a personal preference but I much prefer the original small beaver tail to this massive viagara beaver tail they added. It feels great don't get me wrong but I just preferred the original.

Overall: I love this thing. It's my new carry pistol. Taking over the throne from my ppk. I loved the sw ppk, I hope this doesn't make it sound like I didn't. It gave me years of reliable service and it never gets old looking at it. But this new work horse will take over as soon as it passes my 800 rounds of the shittiest ammo I can find test. Overall if you have the opportunity to find one out there in the wild I highly recommend picking it up.

IMG_20190816_132356.jpg
IMG_20190815_154222.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a ppk and ppk/s fan. I loathe what they did to the tang (beavertail). Cylinder and slide did a re-shape on one on their website a few years ago. Basically took it way down. If I ever get one of these, something like that will have to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ak12161

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I spent over 3 weeks looking and it was a complete accident. I saw the listing on Armslist. It was at guys and gals at arms in Edmond. They had gotten one by chance and of course I rushed over there while my pissed off wife said fine. Lol

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. When I used to carry a PPK/S, many years ago, I loaded it up with Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ...because the gun was designed around that back in like 1931. That was a bit before modern JHP Rounds. Seems like this new version is updated in that regard too? As in it will function reliably with HP Ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ak12161

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new design has a flush throat instead of the slight ramped throat. I've been checking feeding habits on it with a few different rounds and so far no issues. Went to the range today and sent out 600 rounds of various crap ammo to self defense. No hiccups. The beaver tail does it's job good. The only bad thing is I don't know why but the guns actual grip angle has began to start wearing my hand where the gun and hand meet. Almost bloodied my hand up. Didn't have this issue to this extreme with my Smith and Wesson but then again. I ran the piss out of it today . I treated her like a Glock. Rapid fire, quick draw and reloads . Basically shot her to hell and back. At the end of the session she was hot to the touch. Cleaned her up and good as new. I highly recommend the new ppks to anyone looking for one. It's perfect right out of the box.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new design has a flush throat instead of the slight ramped throat. I've been checking feeding habits on it with a few different rounds and so far no issues. Went to the range today and sent out 600 rounds of various crap ammo to self defense. No hiccups. The beaver tail does it's job good. The only bad thing is I don't know why but the guns actual grip angle has began to start wearing my hand where the gun and hand meet. Almost bloodied my hand up. Didn't have this issue to this extreme with my Smith and Wesson but then again. I ran the piss out of it today . I treated her like a Glock. Rapid fire, quick draw and reloads . Basically shot her to hell and back. At the end of the session she was hot to the touch. Cleaned her up and good as new. I highly recommend the new ppks to anyone looking for one. It's perfect right out of the box.
Good review, glad you got a keeper.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always loved those! A super pain to clean and that bite sometimes!

A pain to clean? I find they field strip very easy. I have never thought of them as hard to clean. Now, quick to get dirty? Oh yeah. The inside of the slide especially will gunk up on you quick; 100 rounds and it's time to wipe it down, at least. Must be something with the way it is designed...or something.

600 rounds from a blow-back design, like the PPK/S, will make you winch a little. The barrel stays put. There's nothing there to take up recoil but a smallish recoil spring and the web of your hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom