New Watch Rebuild – Stunning 70's Seiko Bullhead – Dual Register Chronograph – OSA Owned – Tons Of Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info here. Also I have had excellent luck buying used equipment on Fred Miranda web site. The last macro set up I had was an Olympus EM1 Mk II with 60 mm macro lens. Ring light or a light box would work well for your stuff. One of my ex hobbies that I went all in and then sold for next to nothing.
I've got a ring light on the underside of my microscope lens I use for working. It works great, but the camera I had on the trinocular port auto-dims the photos and they look terrible. I don't think the camera is a very good one though. It's just a cheap Chinese microscope camera I found on Amazon, but I can get it to take a decent photo by dimming my working light, then bringing the light back up to do my work. A DSLR camera off to the side with some LED lights I think will be the ticket.

TC54

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will never look at or take for granted my watches again. Absolutely amazing.

After disassembly I opened up the mainspring barrel. The spring was quite dirty, but it wasn't too bad. It looks worse than it is because the factory lubricant used by Seiko at the time was a black grease.

View attachment 341379

Another issue causing poor running, so much so that my machine couldn't get a good signal, was that the fact of the stones on the pallet fork were dirty. Even the smallest amount of contaminants on these jewel faces will drastically affect the ability of a watch movement to keep good time.

View attachment 341378

After all of this was done, everything (including the case) was fully disassembled, all gaskets were removed, etc. Everything (except for the bracelet) went through a few rounds of cleaning. The bracelet was left alone because it was damaged and the owner got a NOS bracelet with this watch at the end of it. He got the original back as well, but I just left it alone since it was going to be fitted with a new one.

Pics below are of all parts on the watch, minus all of the screws. There are tons of different types of screws in this movement and I keep those meticulously organized throughout the rebuild process. I just did not want to take the chance on getting them mixed up by placing them with the parts for the purposes of this picture.

View attachment 341380
View attachment 341381
View attachment 341382
View attachment 341383
View attachment 341384

Latest posts

Top Bottom